Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Time to leave Spearfish ;-(


Yesterday we finally had to bust a move towards Sioux Falls, which meant leaving Spearfish!  As I'd stated a couple times before, I was not looking forward to leaving such a beautiful, friendly area.  Not to mention a great (albeit expensive) campground.  But leave we did.  We traveled nearly half way across the state on route 90 - the major interstate of SD (although there is interstate 29 running north to south, or is it south to north?).  

Anyway, we passed by the northern most part of the badlands.  We went through the badlands when we were here in 2002, and I think Rick may have done them when he was here in '97.  Above is a picture of them from the outside looking in, at a distance of probably 15 or 20 miles.  Inside looking out is much better than this shot for sure.  I remember seeing them in 2002 and calling my Dad back in MA that night after we returned for our ride that day and telling him that I knew why the Badlands were called the Badlands - they are SO bad!  

Rick has said many times ... imagine being the pioneers crossing the country in covered wagons a zillion years ago and coming across the badlands!!  I guess you really have to see them to believe them,  but take my word for it, they are absolutely unbelievable.  Passing by them as we did yesterday made me wish we had ventured in there while we were in the area.
For many many miles along route 90 are signs for the "Famous Wall Drug" (well, as "they" say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!).  Wall Drug is the main attraction (for what reason I can't fathom ... I found it underwhelming to say the least) of tiny Wall, SD.  There aren't four signs in 50 miles there are signs every 1/4 mile!  Goofy signs, many many goofy signs!  Here are a few examples of Wall Drug signs.......... are you hoping you never have to travel along route 90 in SD?  I guess perhaps they do break up the monotony of the route but I'm not sure of it.


And last, but as they say, certainly not least ... I looked down at some point during the 160 miles at Sir Arlo, who travels on his bed between Rick's seat and mine ~ here is how I found him.  It looks like he's drinking from his water bowl, but he isn't, he is sound asleep with his chin/neck resting on the edge of his bowl!  Doesn't seem particularly comfortable or safe to me, then again I'm writing about Sir Arlo, often times there isn't a lot of logic involved!!

No comments: