Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wednesday random "stuff"

Some Wednesday "randomness" ...

The cattle show continues so whenever we leave or return to the camping area here I make it a point to go by the exposition hall where these cuties are getting all beautified to back into the ring!  This guy was out getting a tubbie yesterday when we returned from a morning of errands.  He is the only one I've seen that isn't either solid black or solid brown - I asked the young man who was cleaning him if I could take his picture because he reminded me (sort of) a Vermont Holstein.  But when I loaded the pictures I noticed those ears - what's up with those feathery looking (pappion) ears!  Aren't they just so cute!  Not to mention the slobber/drool.  Well I really thought this guy was quite a looker and he won a prize for "prospect" - I was impressed, but I have no clue what that meant (help me out here Kimmerly).


Another thing that happened yesterday - well it happens every day twice a day, but 
really struck me - There is a sand and gravel company down the road (a piece!) and railroad tracks behind the camping area here, where a train (sometimes two engines and sometimes 12 cars) goes slooooooowly by twice a day (I am really loving this part, but I guess it's 'cause it makes me think of my Dad) ... anyway, I had a flashback yesterday of the many times I heard the story of when my parents were quite young and lived in a little house that backed up to the railroad tracks in Sudbury, MA.  My Mom would be out hanging clothes everyday when the train would go by and she'd wave to the caboose man (or the conductor or both) ... well the story goes that when she returned home from the hospital after my older sister, Candy (and first born Win and Lois offspring) was born, my Mom held the baby up for the conductor/caboose man to see and they started blowing the whistle and kept blowing and blowing the whistle/horn for "miles" on down the tracks ........  or so the story goes ...

Another randomness .... Last night we went out to a local "sports bar" type place, across from the Sioux Falls Canary stadium (appropriately called "The Birdcage") to watch the All Star game.  There were two young men (early 20's) sitting next to us and Rick notices a dill pickle in a glass and asks one of the kids what the heck was up with that - yeah it must be a South Dakota (or Sioux Falls) thing, although we hadn't seen it since we've been here - You eat a dill pickle that you keep in a glass of beer - HUH?  Well I love dill pickles, hate beer so I guess it wouldn't possibly work for me!

Today seems to be a very late start (well DAH the game didn't get over until 1:00 this morning) and we're sort of trying to figure a plan of "what to do" - it's 2:30 so probably not much will get done now.  We did get lots of errands done yesterday, some banking stuff, Rick had some lab work done for his appts next week, he has gotten his suitcase out to start packing, I've done some laundry ...... guess that's about it.  I think we're going to "Hot City Nights" tonight in the downtown area - I guess they close off the terrific main street and have a couple bands or something there - we shall see.  Oh yeah, and an awesome thing happened yesterday - There is a Jazz/Blues Fest this weekend (Taj Mahal for starters!!) and I had volunteered to do whatever they could use me for - I got a call last evening - I will be at Beer Garden #1 on Saturday!!!  YIPPEEEEEEEEEE  I love Sioux Falls!

No comments: