Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Thursday, July 31, 2008

Settling in ~ we are

Rick and I are both settling back into our "routine" of being back home and "chilling" - I think I may still be recovering from my exhausting weekend.  Although, I did ride my bicycle last night in search of half and half for morning coffee.  Sioux Falls has miles and miles of bike trails, a large portion of which are along the Big Siuox River.  I was not on the bike trail however, but still had a nice ride just loving this city.

Above is Rick playing with his new toy - which takes up a large amount of his time these days ... how the man loves gadgets, particularly electronic gadgets!  He is still shaking his head in amazement at this one.

So the big happenings around the fairgrounds these days are the arrival of the carnival people and the fair equipment ~ the place is just buzzing with activity.  Such an interesting group here now - one end of the rv part of the grounds is taken over with them.  When we came in here on the tenth we knew we were going to have to move when the fair people started arriving because they get the full hook up sites (water, sewer and electric) and everyone else moves to the water and electric only sites.  Well it happened that I had to move last Friday (while Rick was still in NH and I was trying to get ready to leave for Iowa to meet up with Kim).  I was like a crazy (HUH) woman because I had a "schedule" planned for myself and it did not include breaking down our site and moving alone.  I did, however, accomplished it all and still managed to leave for Iowa around the time I had planned.  When I got back Monday I was told we had to move again!  UGH ... I waited until Rick got home to do the second move though.  So here we are for a couple more weeks, just loving it here!


So, above and below are pictures of the stuff being set up now - I think people really do go on that big loop ride called the "Ring of Fire"!  Can you imagine?  It won't be either of us I guarantee that!  When I walked by last night they were "testing" the ride!
 
Here are a couple pictures I took with "Frick" in mind - purple dinosaur and if you look at the left side of the picture with that tower ride thing there is an airplane ride - Pat we think perhaps you should come here next week and direct that traffic please!

Below are just a couple pictures of the sights around here.  The house is what is called "The governor's house" ... not as in his residence, but in some sort of low income housing project.  Apparently these houses go for $35,000 and the state gives the buyer a piece of land on which to put the house!  There certainly is a lot of open land here in South Dakota, but I have no idea the specifics of the program.  Hopefully, I'll find them out next week when the house is open and I'm sure there will be info available.

Today before I go to a hairdresser school to get my hair colored (hopefully not purple or pink) Rick and I are going over the the Fair office to see if we can "work" (ha ha ha) doing something next week at the Fair - stay tuned for that one!!!  We are so excited about it - add Sioux Empire Fair employee to our resume!

And, as I close today ~ remember that big beautiful green butterfly I posted the other day?  Well my sister Candy informed me it is a lunar moth.  My research on lunar moths told me this interesting factoid ....  "Finally as a mature adult the Lunar Moth doesn't ever eat, instead it searches only for a mate so that it can breed and then it dies."  





No comments: