Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Sunday, July 27, 2008

Energizer Tracey???



A "baby" sister keeps an "older" sister very busy and active and tired (well that and the fact that Sir Arlo just doesn't realize that he has to share the bed with me that he can't have the entire bed)!!!   Friday night we headed out in search of a meal - nothing fancy but NOT fast food. Totally by accident we ended up in Omaha ~ 3 miles away!!!  We somehow ended up at the old market district - what a beautiful area ... Rick would have LOVED it.  Hopefully we will get  there so he can enjoy it.  Above and below are examples of the very old buildings and the old streets.  It was pretty busy down there but we sure enjoyed ourselves and found good food, after which we did a bit of the "tourist" thing ... checking out shops and buying nothing!!!!!  Also, the restaurant we ate at had this waiting area that had old benches in it and signs for what I guess were train stations .... I had to have Kimmy take my picture in front of this sign for Rick and Moelicious ....... see, even in Iowa I can't get away from the Weymouth(isms)!



Then yesterday we did the Lewis and Clark historical sites in the area.  Below is Kimberly admiring the memorial and a shot of the "valley" looking out from the memorial.  It really was a gorgeous vies from up there over looking the Missouri River and Omaha, plus it was kind of cloudy so it wasn't unbearably hot yesterday - thankfully.  


From that memorial we moved to the other side of Council Bluffs (where we are staying right across the Missouri River from Omaha) to another park where they were having a reenactment of the Lewis and Clark expedition meeting up with the Mormon Battalion ~ yeah as soon as I heard we were seeing anything involving Mormonism I got a little freaked out and had visions of our three and a half year stay in Utah one month...... below is a picture of the Mormon side of the reenactment


and below is a couple pictures of the Lewis and Clark portion of the reenactment.  The L&C part had meat cooking over an open fire as well as a blacksmith shop area set up (one of the pictures below) and a few tents.  As many of you know, this history stuff just is not for me ~ I find it incredibly boring ... yes, I would like to know how an area came to be but please give me the 10 minute version.  Thankfully the weather was decent yesterday and there were enough stops that Arlo could get some exercise - at one point he got to play in a small very muddy little creek (where I got my flip flop stuck about 6 inches down in the mud when I slid off the bank into the creek! - a comical sight for sure) and at the reenactment park he got to play with his "wilson" for a bit on his long leash.  After the wilson play he got to go swimming and stick chasing in a pond so it was all good!
  

THEN, last night (are YOU exhausted yet) we went to the local fair!  Well I've been looking forward to the fair coming to the fairgrounds where we are staying in Sioux Falls so this was sort of a prelude to that I guess!  Below is a picture I took with you in mind Moelicious - this is how they park cars at the fairgrounds here - "pony express" riders - which is a volunteer organization that raises funds for a childrens charity in the midwest.  Anyway, Moe I thought you'd especially like this fella.

    
Below are a couple pictures of some examples of the livestock on exhibit here.  If you enlarge the turkey photo you will see his name is John!  Go figure that one (I thought they were suppose to be named Tom!!)

 


Lastly, Kimberly wanted pictures of the planting patterns here in Iowa - I guess it is an erosion protection?  A gentleman we were chatting with said between the rows of corn they plant soy beans ~ who knew soy beans in Iowa?  Surely not I!  That's all for today folks - it's taken me two days to get this post done and I am exhausted and have to try to get some shut eye.  I have lots of pictures to download but I need a couple days - I'm headed back to Sioux Falls tomorrow and my honey comes home ....... yippppppppeeeeeee ~ I need my baby back ...


No comments: