Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Sunday, July 20, 2008

What would YOU have done?

So, here's the deal ..... when Rick goes away - be it a day, a weekend, a week or 10 days ;-(      I clean - I have no explanation but that's just the way it is, been that way for years ..... let's just say it's a "Tracey thing".  So I have my cleaning agenda all set in my mind - today I'll do the bedroom area (including the closet that needs a bit of "carpentry" work", the dresser drawers, anything beyond the bathroom area (which would be done tomorrow) and the major task (for the third day of cleaning)  would be the living/dining/kitchen area.  I understand everyone is wondering how the hell can 38 feet be such a huge task, trust me it is, sometimes,  which I guess is why it's a major task twice a year when Rick has to go back to MA.... a lot of "stuff" accumulates in those areas over the course of six months.  

But I digress.  My plan of attack once I finally got mentally (HUH) motivated this morning, was to go to Lowes and get a quick connect for the coach washing hose, (that I was informed I didn't get enough of the other day when I was there - who knew!)  But the major purchase was the 1 X 3 (or 4) to support the closet pole that is collapsing (already did a support in the middle of the closet pole - ummmmmm do you think that perhaps I should do a major purge in the closet since very few things in there would fit either one of us these days?).  BUT, I realize that next to Lowe's is the grocery store that has a Starbucks in it (remember that addiction?).  Since my honey's away I can have 100% Starbucks (Rick only barely tolerates Starbucks so I 1/2 and 1/2 it to compromise).  

So off Sir and I go.  I get to the store and realize that it is kind of warm out and since these stores are fairly new construction there are no shade trees available to park under.  So I decide to head back to the house and bid Sir a fond, 30 minute farewell.  Now realize both of these stores are less than two miles away from the house and I am not wasting gas frivolously here cause I have my dog's best interest in mind.  Okay, we get home and I try to explain it to Sir and leave again.  I go into the market (totally unintentionally) at the entrance next to the florist department - seriously I've only been in this location of my new favorite market once and that was NOT  a particularly pleasant experience (a story perhaps for a different day, but unlikely ... just know I have no patience for foolishness) and my goodness the florist lady is explaining to someone that long stem roses are 2/$1.00 ~ well come on, you can't beat that deal with a stick now can you?  Plus flowers are a GREAT motivator to clean (how's that for logic?).  So I'm just having a blast choosing from about 15 colors to make a simply lovely bouquet of roses, then add the "fillers" for a buck or two per "stem" and I'm good here, got a beeeeeeautiful bouquet paid for and head over to the Starbucks kiosk.  I get my pound of java ground and head out to the car.  Well DAMN it's pouring out .... yup another weird South Dakota weather day - pouring to beat the band and off in the distance (read 10 miles?) I hear you guessed it thunder (do you all know that I HATE HATE HATE, am petrified of thunder and lightening???).  And what could make it worse?  Yup the car windows are open - all four of them !  This is South Dakota you can leave your car windows open when you run into the market to get a pound of coffee for heavens sake.  OOOOOOOOOPS - guess what else???  The windows at the house are all open too.  OOOOOOOOOPs so are the three vents in the house!  You know the house where I was just returned because it was too hot to leave Arlo in the car?  

So, the question is what would YOU have done????? Go home or go next door to Lowes?????




I decided to return home, close windows and vents and say the heck with the support for the closet pole today.  There must be some reason that twice in the course of an hour this just hasn't worked out as planned! 


So I clean like a wild woman, get the bedroom sort of done (no closet or drawers) and move on to the bathroom area - remember that was for day #2.  Then I arrange the beautiful roses and fillers and decide to head to the laundromat.  Yes we have a washer/dryer at the house, but I am doing blankets, mattress cover, you name it - heavy stuff.  Well remember how much fun laundromats are?  I get through it (I am trying very hard to remember the Richard J. Whelan school of tolerance lessons I have had instilled in what is left of my brain).  I get through that pretty well  ~ nothing like a laundromat on a 97 degree day......   I get home and am "futzing" in the bedroom - putting stuff back on the headboard etc.  I go out to the front of the coach (we're talking what 35 feet at this point maybe) and come back to THIS ..... 





That, my friends, is the $300. "memory foam mattress topper" that's been on the bed since September!  Remember I had the mattress cover at the laundromat - well it's in the laundry basket waiting to go on the bed ..... His highness (Camelot's Sir Arlo) decided it was a new chew toy - we're talking 60 flippin' seconds here!  So what would you have done with THIS?

a)  laugh?
b)  yell (or worse) at Sir?
c)  vodka?
d)  gone for a walk (fast paced?) alone?
e)  none of the above?

1 comment:

Beth said...

Now that did not seem like a fun day. I don't know what I would have done, but I'm sure simply laughing would not have cut it for a $300 mattress topper!