Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Sunday, September 28, 2008

Up, up and awaaaaay we went

So yesterday we left the tee shirt capital of the world (I swear it had to be).  Oh and by the way ... I forgot to mention in the "Tail of the Dragon" post (and by the way, Frank we didn't realize you had done the Tail of the Dragon) ... when we were done with our ride we headed the 50 miles back to the house.  When we got to Pigeon Forge (three miles south of where we were staying) we pulled into some restaurant - can't remember the name and it isn't important anyway - to have a cold beer and a cold vodka and soda - NOT, no way, no how .... no "hard liquor" in whatever the heck county we were in!  Man that stuff just blows me away ~ it infuriates me for any government entity to take it upon themselves to make decisions what I should do!


UGH .........

so we left the area absolutely delighted that I'd seen it, but the bottom line is "been there, done that".  If I ever return to the area it will not be to that county, nor would I spend any  more $$$ in that county.

Okay, so I'll try to get off my soapbox now and continue on with our travels yesterday.  The first two photos were, I believe, still in Tennessee along interstate 40 going somewhere between Sevierville, TN and Ashville, NC. I just loved not only the mountains, of course, but the clouds covering the tops of the mountains (Smoky Mountains that would be).


The tunnel photo is ... ummmm I don't remember, either TN, NC or SC (not much help there am I).  There were a couple tunnels along the way but this one, and perhaps the others but I only noticed this one, had this sign, not only "warning" you about the tunnel but hopefully you can enlarge it and see what it says under "tunnel" they feel the need (which is scary that there may be people that need the warning - to remove sunglasses ~ just cracked me up, which is why I guess I took the photo never mind posted it.  








Next we have a photo of an exit ramp somewhere along the way (DAH) perhaps North Carolina.  There were a few of these fields of cosmos (No Mary and Richie NOT your Grand - dog)  along exit ramps and they were so pretty.  They reminded me of my Mom because she always had bunches and bunches of cosmos in her "cutting gardens".  I haven't seen any in years and certainly never saw this many!  It was a nice trip down that lane called memory.






Just another scenic (hopefully) shot of somewhere in either TN or NC.  It was so gorgeous traveling through the Smokys and the clouds sort of added to it for me.  I don't know what is is with me and mountains  these are just beauties ~ so different from the mountains we traveled through when, I think, we first started the blog - the mountains in the west and southwest that are brown and red and rocks but no foliage ... they were beautiful in their own way, but I like these mountains much better.








A few posts ago I uploaded, I think, a couple photos of signs whose town names cracked me up ~ well here's two more.  I swear they are towns ~ Bat Cave (NC I think) and Cowpens (SC I am sure).  There is a battlefield in Cowpens that I thought perhaps Rick would like to tour ~ NOT.  Gee and he is the history fan among us, surely it isn't Arlo or me.







Now, as for our travel yesterday ~ we have gotten so good at disconnecting our hook ups and getting on the road by, usually9:00 AM (ish).  As I've said before we don't like to do more than 200 miles in any day.  The "plan" for yesterday was to travel 70 miles to Waynesville, NC and stay at an Elks Lodge there for a couple days then head to Rock Hill, SC for two weeks before coming over to Gaffney for the class and maintenance we are scheduled for at Frieghtliner the week of October 13.

Well remember we don't do real well with plans.  Pretty often as soon as we make a plan we change a plan.  Such was the case yesterday.  The day we got into Sevierville the transmission was acting "funky" so while we were there Rick added some oil and off we went yesterday.  Along about 30 miles prior to Waynesville, NC (remember that was our "destination" for the day) we made the decision to continue on to Gaffney and hope that Frieghtliner can get us in here sometime within the next couple days ~ although it doesn't really matter if it's two days or ten.  They do have 50 amp electric here and 20 or so "sites".   There is no water or sewer at the "sites" but there is water and a dump station available.  If they can't get us in I sure hope they can point us in the "proper" direction.

I think I did well not to stress too much with the "adventure" yesterday and jumped into a different mode of gathering diagnostic info, directions, and try like heck to be "logical"  and keep the iced coffee flowing and the oreos coming as we climbed the mountains ohhhhhh so slowly ~ I felt like we were the "Little Engine that Could" or I wanted to do a Fred Flintstone and put my feet through the floor boards and push ... "come on Bessy, you can do it" and she did ... it was a heck of a struggle for her but SHE DID IT!


No comments: