Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Yes Chad, it's fall!


Chad sent me a photo today - a leaf that had fallen on his sun roof - to show me that it is fall in East Boston (or there abouts) ... fall is here in Sevierville, TN also ~ three red (ish) trees in the campground must count for something yes?  And if Tracey has a chrysanthemum amongst the flamingos then perhaps it is fall wherever I am too?  As well as a pumpkin on the table.  Man, I love fall.  Well, as I mentioned yesterday, the nights feel like fall here, the days are 80 ish but the nights are terrific sleeping weather.  As you can see in the photo below we have some "firewood" so perhaps tonight will be a campfire night (if Sir doesn't gnaw on all of it and Rick and I can stay awake long enough).  Thought we'd have one last night but that didn't quite happen!
Today Rick and I got the motorcycles out and went to Gatlinburg.  I'm telling you I can not believe how many tee shirt stores and fast food restaurants and basic junk can be put in a 15 mile stretch!  As we were sitting at yet another traffic light I asked Rick if he thought people really buy all this crap!  How on earth can an area support all this?  

We went through a bit of the Smoky Mountain National Park (photos above and below) then turned off the roadway there into Gatlinburg, which was just as loaded with tee shirts, fudge and assorted junk.  There was an Elks Lodge there (unfortunately we did not do photos at the Lodge).  A very friendly, welcoming group there today.  One of the advantages of visiting all these lodges is the locals can tell you about out of the way roads (without tee shirt shops!) and local restaurants etc. ~ things we much prefer.  So we had a much better ride home - longer distance but much nicer riding.  We stopped at a restaurant on the way that the Lodge folks told us about.  It is owned by  a guy from South Boston so of course we had to go.  Unfortunately the owner had just left (to go into town to the Lodge!) so we didn't get to chat with him.  After we left there I proceeded to get us "lost" (remember though ... all who wander are not lost) but we sure had fun.... sometimes it is fun to get lost!

Yesterday I mentioned that I was going to try to teach Arlo how to run along side me while I'm on my bicycle - he is doing so good and we (well I) am having fun with it .... we went out a couple times yesterday and three times today... poor guy needs a heck of a nap when we get home from these jaunts and we only go around the campground - probably not even 1/2 mile ... yup we're all out of shape around here!   The only issue I've had with it is that I need him to be on my right side but dog training when walking etc. requires the dog to be on the persons left so he was a bit confused with that logic but I think by the third time I got on the bike he understood where he needed to be .... and he does seem anxious to go (dah Arlo is always anxious to go go go wherever his people are going)

No comments: