Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Saturday, September 6, 2008

It seems like forever but...

It feels like I haven't done a post in days - but the last post was dated yesterday - hmmmmm.  

So we were at that Elks for one night - with no hook ups which really was kind of nice and I could have stayed several days there - we were alone, the Lodge was very friendly and there was lots of room for Arlo to run around and act like a nut.  However, Rick is/was on a "mission" so off we went bright and early the next morning.  The leaving part was so easy because we had no electric and water to disconnect or tanks to dump!!!  Just raise the jacks and off we went towards Arkansas (another 250 mile day!).

I, as usual, had this mental image of Arkansas.  It wasn't a particularly appealing image to say the least.  I had envisioned flat, barren land with shacks.  NOT!  It was really really pretty, sort of rolling with lots and lots of green space and lots of pine trees.  Who knew?!?  We stayed last night in Benton, AR which is about 20 miles south of Little Rock.  So, being we went through Little Rock - Chad the picture above is for you - do you know what it is?  I had intended to visit there but like I mentioned, Rick was on a "mission" and that meant one night - since we didn't get into Benton until around 3:00 there wasn't time for "sight seeing" so that was that!

We left there around 9:30 this morning and fueled up at the bargain price of $3.99/gallon for diesel - the lowest we've seen in a long long time ... there is something very wrong with thinking $3.99 a gallon is a bargain isn't there!  Anyway, after that we headed south east to Monroe, LA.  

We have passed some very interesting town names along the way.  In southern MO the other day we passed the exit for Knob Lick - sorry I didn't have the camera on the ready for that one.  Then the exits for Possum and Grape.  Followed by the exit for Bald Knob!!  If we can't entertain each other I guess the road signs do it for us.  The other day it was the town of Winfield which was my Dad's name and my son Joshua's middle name.

When we "checked in" to the camp ground in Benton last night I was chatting with the "office" person there and he said they had had ten inches of rain in two days over the last week - tail end of Gustav I assumed.  All along the way today this is what we saw - areas that were obviously flooded out and you knew they were normally fields or wooded areas, not what today looks like muddy rivers.  Sorry for the quality (or lack there of) of this photo but I thought it was worth posting.

Where we are at for tonight and tomorrow there is also a muddy body of water.  I usually let Sir swim at the campgrounds that have ponds but when I inquired today the woman told me there is a resident gator there so I guess I'll rethink that form of exercise for him this time.

We'll be here a couple nights then head 15 miles or so down the road to our "appointment" which is to have the new front television installed.  We will be at the man who did the mods here in February.  He also owns an Alfa and is such a craftsman, so fastidious that Rick wanted to wait to have him do the latest mods.

Hopefully (like within the next couple hours) we will find some good Cajun food ... cravings are setting in for some crawfish and po boys!  Not to mention I need some good Cajun music tonight - probably would have better luck finding that in the southern part of the state - about 200 miles away but there must be something here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How could you drive past the Clinton library?