Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Monday, June 2, 2008

Zion etc.

Well we finally got to Zion National Park.  It was all we hoped it would be ~ and more.  However, for some unknown reason I didn't realize that I would be driving up and up and up with several switchbacks!!!    To the right is a picture from quite near the entrance to the park.  Another thing I didn't realize is that in order to see the "scenic drive" at this time of year, visitors must take the free shuttle.  Free shuttles are wonderful, but they don't allow dogs (of course) so the Whelan entourage didn't do the shuttle, nor did they see the "most scenic" parts of the park!!  Along the scenic drive are several walking trails - even some that non-walkers like us could have done!

The next photo is of the tunnel in the park - quite an undertaking it was to build and quite a ride through it.  Actually there are two tunnels there.  We had to wait for about 10 minutes or so as a group of small motorhomes were coming through - "over sized" vehicles going through have to drive down the middle of the road as well as pay an additional fee to go through.  Why anyone would want to subject their motorhome to the drive up to this tunnel is beyond me but.....




Doesn't this look like the desert?  I thought it looked like layers of sand ...... it isn't but that's what it reminded me of.  And how about those pine trees growing there.  








So it was June first and here I am making snowballs - well we were at 9910 feet so I guess that explains it!  We took a different route "home" - there was no way I was going to drive those switchbacks again.  I have to learn how to do a google map sort of thing to put on the blog - or perhaps on the picasa site in the albums there!  Too much to try to figure out right now!












Lastly - maybe - for today......
If anyone is wondering why we are doing this "crazy travel" THIS is why......................
Oh yeah.......I uploaded two new albums to picasa - one of the beautiful downtown St. George and another of the Zion trip.

1 comment:

Beth said...

The scenery is gorgeous! I also appreciate that you are feeding Arlo a snowball while you are in shorts and a tank top!

Did your other half look the other way when you encountered snow?