Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Sunday, June 15, 2008

Off to Temple we go


Well we did it, we finally got to Temple Square in Salt Lake City.  What a beautiful area, just gorgeous.  Filled with apprehension we did the "tour".... with lots of trepidation, but we did it... it was painless ~ not nearly as informative as I had hoped about the Mormon religion but I guess I could really just google it and probably get ummm maybe 10,000 hits and really educate myself!  Anyway, above is a picture of yours truly (and most people know how much I hate, absolutely hate, having my picture taken) sorry but this was the best of the pictures that showed the entire Temple building (behind me) and the Tabernacle to my left.
Above is the Temple building (which by the way, is not included in the tour - it is not open to the public) from quite a distance.  What a spectacular building - Chad, I think you would be very interested in the architecture.
Above is the Tabernacle building - where the famous Tabernacle Choir performs every Sunday morning (among other times).  There are inside views of this lovely building on our picasa site in the Temple Square album.  I took several pictures of the grounds at Temple Square - the gardens are spectacular, just gorgeous.  They made me miss my Whitman gardens - the beauty of the gardens, if not the work and expense of the Whitman gardens!
Above is "Assembly Hall" - in itself spectacular - sort of a "mini" Temple - I'm not sure that would be a flattering description to the Mormons but to me it seemed equally as beautiful.  This building was not included in the tour but I believe it was open to the public.
The picture above is of a trolley stop outside Temple Square.  If you click on the photo to enlarge it you will see why I took this picture....... on the roof are several birds ~ we thought, from a distance ~ they were "real" birds - well they are real but not alive .... they have golden beaks and really had us "scratching our heads" for a block or two - Rick swore he saw one move!!!  (what can I say)

And to end it all for today........ from our "campground" HA ... still snow on the mountains a mile or so away - it is 89 degrees here at our "site" but lots of snow on them thar mountains....  Below - so you can all see why we are on the miserable side, and getting so so so anxious to get out of here - this is where we've been for a week!  Oh lord, I hope hope hope the parts we are waiting for will be here as promised on Tuesday so we can "blow this clambake" bright and early Wednesday!!!  Wyoming and South Dakota here we come and not a moment too soon!

No comments: