Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Spearfish Canyon

Last night Arlo and I went up into the Canyon but it was getting too late for him to swim much so we all went back today.  I think the Canyon is my favorite part of South Dakota - or definitely my favorite part of the Spearfish area.  It is just so vast and beautiful up there.  Above is a picture of Bridal Veil Falls.    When Rick and I were here in 2002 the falls were dry.  When Rick was here in 1997 (thank you Frank for clarifying the years!) the falls were falling!
Above is "just" a random shot of Spearfish Creek - I took 202 pictures today ~ thank goodness for digital cameras!  I narrowed it to 130 pictures and moved 20+ over to the picasa site to a new album called, strangely enough, Spearfish Canyon!  I will also add a few into Sir Arlo's album there ~ Sir had a great day (well I think he did) and has been napping ever since we got home a couple hours ago.
Another shot of the canyon mountains - isn't it so beautiful and green.  Also, we went in search of the film site for the winter scenes in Dances with Wolves - oddly enough there was a sign on the road but when we got down the dirt road the 2 3/4 miles indicated on that sign we never found any indication exactly where the site is but there was a lovely "park" of sorts down there that we suspected is the "site" ....... I think we should just watch the movie again and go back ~ but not tonight we're headed into a "Bluegrass Festival" in town which should be very interesting but it doesn't start until 9:00 - what's up with that?  9:00 is almost my bedtime in spite of the two hour nap I had today!!  Yeah yeah, I'm getting old or King Richard is wearing me out with the constant go go go.
At the top of the Canyon is Spearfish Canyon Lodge  and the Latchstring Restaurant where we stop every time we are up there, as we did today.  They have a great deck which used to overlook one of the "gorge" areas but is rather overgrown now.  There is a loop trail down to Spearfish Falls that I walked today - above is a view from the back yard of the restaurant and below is Spearfish Falls.  I think Spearfish Falls is prettier than Bridal Veil because you can get much closer to it............ then again none of it is too shabby in my book!

No comments: