Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Field Trip day

Yesterday was "field trip" day for the Whelans.  We were headed out to Golden Spike National Park in Promontory - sort of in honor of my dad, maybe (he was a real train freak) - I don't really know 'cause neither Rick nor I have a "thing" for trains etc.  In fact Rick would probably rather not be within 1000 miles of any sort of train - it would remind him of that work thing he used to do!  Anyway, off we went.  Along the way I remembered reading about some rocket display somewhere out there, which I thought might interest Rick.  So we stopped.  I think he wasn't too interested!  But he did explain to me that when he worked for Sylvania about a million years ago he worked on electronics for the Minuteman missile which is the tall one shown above.

From the rockets we proceeded to the train thing.  We just happened to arrive when they were doing a reenactment of the day the golden spikes were put in - kind of hokey but we did stay and watch it for a while.  This was when the tracks from the west connected the tracks from the east combining the Union Pacific and the Central Pacific Railroads.  From there we were headed......
to the "Spiral Jetty" but never made it out there.  I wish we had because I found some great pictures of it on line but it was 19 miles of dirt, and some spots quite rough, road and we had to get back for a concealed firearms permit class.  I was afraid we'd get short on time so we decided to turn around and head home.  Though we did stop for some Sir Arlo play time, which he desperately needed.  I did take a picture, below, of a view of the Great Salt Lake from where we stopped for playtime.  At that point I think we were about 10 miles away from it.  

We will be heading closer to the lake tomorrow when we go to Sunset for the coach work.  I think we'll be there for a week (UGH - I want out of here!) so we will have lots of time at the lake and probably downtown Salt Lake City........ stay tuned.  
p.s. .......... did ya'll notice NO mountain pictures!!  BUT  there are new photos in Connor's album, Sir Arlo's album and the June random photos album at our picasa site.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I had never looked through the Connor album before. He's so cute! I can't believe how big he's gotten!