Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Monday, June 23, 2008

Home sweet home

We arrived in SD yesterday.  We will be in Spearfish for probably, hopefully, a week or so although I think only at this campground for three nights then move somewhere else in Spearfish or the surrounding area.  Spearfish is one of my favorite places in the world.  Rick and I were here a few years ago (neither of us can remember exactly which year but I think it was 2001 or 2002) for Sturgis Motorcycle Rally which is always the first week in August.  Rick had been here prior to that in 1997 or 1998.  

Spearfish is in the beautiful "blackhills" of South Dakota - in fact the most western border of SD, about 4 miles from Wyoming.  We are at the base of gorgeous, beautiful, spectacular Spearfish Canyon.  Also, part of Dances With Wolves (with ooooohhhhh Kevin Costner) was filmed here.  We are close to Sturgis, Deadwood and Lead, SD all of which will be motorcycle rides for us because word has it those babies are coming out today.  

You might have noticed there are no pictures today........ well here's the story ~ we traveled 216 (I think it was) miles yesterday from Casper, WY to here.  We stayed off the interstate again and traveled for about 75 miles on beautiful back roads, hopefully we will be doing more back roads travel and less interstate but we'll see.  Anyway, back to the pictures - the windshield was so encrusted with splattered bugs that there was no way I could do any picture taking.  Have no fear tho......... there will be many pictures of the Spearfish area to come - maybe tomorrow's post ~ we shall see how many I take and get uploaded today but tonight we will be celebrating our first anniversary so that takes priority over anything today!!!  Ah a year ago we were doing the "I do's" on the Charles on the deck of the SS ??? (not the SS Minnow) ~ but I/we never did find out the name of the "duck" we were on - does anyone know?  I just know it was one very fun day and we had a blast and hope everyone that was there did also.

One more thing ... as we traveled yesterday we passed many many many (read hundreds) of antelope.  I think antelope will now be my obsession and the subject of probably 500 pictures!  You've been warned!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Happy Anniversary!

At one point I did know the name of the duck boat, but now I forget. Drats.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your new home!