Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Saturday, August 30, 2008

Take me out ....



The adventure for today was...........




There have been very few things that I have had a strong desire or strong displeasure to see/visit on this journey of ours, but the Field of Dreams film site was one of the things that I really really wanted to see ~ since we were sort of in the area! 

I have very very fond baseball game memories for a lot of reasons ... 

When my boys were younger we spent a summer or two at many many Red Sox games ... I bought several tickets and one week one of the boys and I would go to a game and the next week the other one and I would go and some weeks both boys and I would go ..... so when my oldest son (SSgt Joshua) got married seven (WOW seven!!) years ago when the mother of the groom had the dance with the groom guess what the tune was ?.?.?.?.?.


You got it........ it was "Take me out to the Ball Game" 

So anyway, baseball has always been my favorite sport .. then along came football ... another story for a different day but ...


In spite of the 85 degree weather today (but it really was a dry 85 degrees! and it was sure better than the 107 degree day in Nevada - UGH) we had a great day and I am so glad we went there ...

To the right are Rick and Sir doing the coming out of the corn field scene - what do you think?  A good rendition of that scene from the movie?  Speaking of the movie - I wanted to rent it before we went today so we could sort of have a "refresher" course but we never "got to it"...

If you can enlarge the photo to the right (I've had comments that some of the photos I post can't be enlarged and I have no clue why some can't and some can ~ Chad got any idea??)  Anyway, the photo to the right is Sir and I sitting on the bleachers looking at the field .... 



And here are Sir and I on second - posing oh so nicely .. well maybe not so much, remember it is 85 degrees?












And now it's the Whelan boys rounding first ...

 After we got back near the "campground" we took Arlo swimming in the lake to get him some "down time" and cool off a bit.  Later Rick and I went to the local American Legion and met a local couple.  As usual we chatted and got "to know each other" and told them "our story" .... 

 

Who has ever met someone who really and truly, first hand experienced a tornado?  Well the woman (Lynn and her mother Marlene who was also there) told us about the tornado that came through Oelwein in 1968 and destroyed their home ... it was quite a story and as much as I thought I could imagine what it would be like I really had no stinking idea - nor do I ever want to come any closer than the story I heard this afternoon ... as they described it, it truly sounded like a freight train and when you notice the cloud signs or hear the alarm sounding you don't have much time ~ a matter of minutes ~ to take "cover" ........ the entire second floor of their home was gone ... they were "trapped" in the cellar until help arrived to get them out but according to them it was only a matter of a few minutes before neighbors started clearing away the rubble to get to them in the cellar.  Another "odd" thing was that the tornado destroyed every other house on their street for a total of 11 homes!  To hear their tale truly left me with "goose bumps" and they were so calm and at ease telling the story - yes it had been many years but I'm not sure I would care to relay the tale if it were my first hand experience ... Anyway, another one of those people stories I've mentioned so often ~ just meeting people along the way and hearing about their life experiences!  Isn't it great!

No comments: