Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Back to "normal" Tuesday


Last night we had dinner and fun with our friends Rick and Jaye.  They were among the first people we met when we were out here last September to establish our residency etc. and we just "connected".  They are such fun fun fun people with whom we have had a lot of good times and lots of laughs.  They will be leaving tomorrow for a vacation and we will have left Sioux Falls when they return.  Being the emotional person that I am, I've had a difficult time leaving a few places along the way but last night was the worst ~ I just didn't want to leave them - they have been so very very gracious, warm and welcoming.  They alone could be the Sioux Falls Chamber of Commerce/Welcome Wagon (do communities still have Welcome Wagons?).  Also, they brought us a very very special gift - a cloth embroidered by Jaye's grandmother who is 102 years old.  What a treasure!  We sure will miss you two ....

Yesterday was eye doctor day etc.  UGH ...... two and a half hours later - seriously, two and a half flipping hours for an eye doctor's appointment!  I left with a new perscription etc.  When I was finally on my way out of the building Rick was on his way in to find out what the hell happened to his wife!  

I guess though that Richard made good use of his time (while I was getting dialated, examed and frustrated with the entire opthamolgist routine) by catching up with  pal Richie etc.  At some point he recieved a call that came up on his phone as unknown, strangely enough he answered the call!  It was Vicky, the personal assistant to Sioux Falls Mayor David Munson.  Mr. Mayor heard that we were new to the city and would like to meet with us ... HUH!  Seriously, I couldn't make this up either - my eyes may have been dialated like I was out of control but my hearing was alright as Rick was relaying the story to me ....

So off we go today for our appointment with Mr. Mayor with whom we discussed our delight with his fine city ~ we talked about the lovely park system, the fun "sculpture walk", the lack of crime, the value system here and the joys of traveling this great country meeting people and seeing the wonderful things we've seen and realizing how truly fortunate we are!  Now seriously, who would have thought!  It's just the way our life goes on this journey - a conversation among friends (Rick and Jaye with Vicky a few days ago) and we get a phone call that Mr. Mayor would like to meet us!
So here are the Whelan's "keys to the City" (seriously)!  ohhhhhh this life of ours ........ 
pinch me please.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what?????? How did you guys get keys to a city?