Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Friday, August 8, 2008

Another Friday for rambling on and on and on

A view of the line for the "senior lunch" yesterday!  The sponsor (Blue Cross) started serving at noon and the seniors started lining up at 11:10!  We decided to take a long walk around the fairgrounds and see what the line was like afterwards!  

The photo above is of some of the fairgrounds help.  You may have to click on the picture to enlarge it so you can see it better but the Minnehaha County Sheriff brings in a van load of prisoners daily to help out around here.  Prior to the fair they came in once a week to prepare for the fair I guess and I imagine they'll be here for a time after the fair closes.  I thought this was only done in the south but I really like the idea ~ don't  know how they (the prisoners) feel about it but I suspect they like being out in the world for a few hours.

I need to ramble and rant about an incident the other day that is really bugging the heck out of me and I just can't "let it go" ..... On Monday we went to the main Sioux Falls Library to get library cards ... we go through the filling out the application stuff and take them and our drivers licenses up the library card young lady.  She starts entering our info in her computer and asks for our permanent address which we point out is on the application.  Well the legal address we (and about 5000 other full timers) use is our mail forwarding service.  She states that we don't live in a mailbox (not only was she cute and pleasant, but she is very smart to boot) that we are "transients" - well this term goes up my butt about seven miles ..  She continues to tell us we have to have a permanent address that is a house OR we can bring a campground receipt stating how long we are paid ahead for and can get a "temporary card" up to that date.  Keep in mind, we rarely plan ahead and often extend daily.  So we left fairly angry/frustrated without our library cards.  I "stewed" about this for a couple days and emailed the mayor and the head library lady.  The mayor passes my comments to the library lady, who never bothered to reply to my email to her, but does reply to the one forwarded from the mayor.  I would like to meet said library lady because she surely sends a rather unpleasant email and I can't possibly imagine that a head library lady can be quite so unpleasant.  Her point was that the library is for taxpayers, not transients.  I point out that when we registered our five flippin vehicles in Sioux Falls we paid taxes on them.  I further pointed out that our drivers licenses were legally issued with the mail forwarding address, we legally registered to vote with the mail forwarding address, we legally got permits to carry concealed weapons with the mail forwarding address and we've legally registered our dog with the mail forwarding address!  I also pointed out that if they would like they could have a credit card security for any books they felt might be pilfered by the transient Whelans.  Are we the only ones that think this is beyond absurd!  I just can't let this go and yup it is driving me crazy ........ I hate foolish, nonsensical rules and this might be the epitome of said foolish rules.  And head library lady's tone really was unnecessary.  Part of me is so tempted to go there daily with a campground receipt and as them to issue us daily temporary cards, go through the entire foolishness daily!  Darn, I think I've worked myself up again over this!

Yesterday we took Sir to a lovely huge park to run off some of his pent up energy.  He has been a mess since the fair started and the fairgrounds is a buzz of activity - he doesn't even want to go outside but obviously has to but will only go to the small area behind the coach.  When we go to work at night we leave all the air conditioners on as well as the television to try to drown out the music at the grandstand ~ last night was a group called "Staind with Theory of a Deadman" - heavy metal, head banging loud loud loud stuff.  The ticket booth we were in last night was right in front of the Grandstand!!!!  Tonight is Chicago so I suspect that will be loud, but hopefully not as loud!  Anyway, we will take Arlo out for some off fairgrounds time today ~  while the car air conditioner is getting a recharge, Sir will be getting a recharge!

No comments: