Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Saturday, August 16, 2008

Just some Saturday evening stuff


While rick is out watching the "cage fights" (another event at the Fairgrounds) I thought I'd upload a couple photos of "happenings" in the world of Whelan.  

The top one is a shot of one of the many (read hundreds) of critters that dig up the fairground grounds.  I thought they were prairie dogs but they are smaller than a prairie dog so I don't know what they really are but I just call them gophers or critters.  They dig holes - like huge holes all over the place.  Arlo is quite interested in them to say the least!  I posted a photo a few weeks ago of him determined he was going to get to the bottom of a gopher hole!  They are kind of cute critters but truly a nuisance or an ankle twister if you're not careful!

The other night we sat outside till about 1:00 am just chillaxin' and I got a decent shot of the moon - can't explain why the heck this night shot came out alright - I guess I'll just never understand this camera!  Got any hints Chad?

Today we finally got the bikes out - well Rick was out on his yesterday while I had a rather zombie like day trying to adjust to new medication so I stayed home.  Today my bike came out and we headed north to Lake Madison about 50 miles away.  What a gorgeous ride through acres and acres and acres of farm land and rolling hills.  This side of the state isn't quite like the western side with the beautiful Black Hills.  This is more rolling hills.  But so much open land out here it amazes me still.  Then again the population of the entire state is only around 750,000 so I guess that says a lot.  I am still seriously thinking about buying land here.  The housing here is unreal - the further from the city you go the cheaper it is (obviously I guess) but there are houses (habitable houses mind you) with some land for $15,000!  On the outskirts of the city I saw one for $49,000 with 1 1/2 acre!  Rick thinks it would be wiser to buy in an area that we would be comfortable in year round - I don't know about that.  All I want is land to put the coach on while we are here, which obviously would not be in the winter.  But I digress I guess didn't I .....

Anyway, I (we) have this thing about taking pictures of town signs that are the names of friends etc (remember when we went to St. Onge!)  Well on the way up to Madison we passed this one ... so Chester, we're thinking of you and wish you were riding with us here ... When I was in Iowa with my sister there was a town named Guthrie Center, which I thought we should go to so I could have a picture of Sir Arlo sitting at the town sign but Guthrie Center was on a different scenic byway than the one we took!!!  Maybe a different time.


Here is a picture of the bikes at some buffalo in Madison ... we did pass a buffalo farm on the way there but that wasn't where this was taken ~ this was just some buffalo on the side of the road!  Is that eligible for "roadside America" - not quite the big ball of string but........  (stay tuned, however, next weeks journey has a beauty of an example of roadside America in the plan)

And below is some place we stopped at the north end of Lake Madison.  It was a great peaceful setting and a pretty decent place but the menu did nothing for me so we only had a cocktail and left .... went to a place at the southern end of the lake to eat - not much better than the northern end but I needed food .... and the choices were rather slim .... We had a great ride though - perfect weather, perfect roads and perfect riding companion!  





No comments: