Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Monday, August 4, 2008

An "earily" busy weekend!

No I didn't mis-spell in the title of today's post - it was intentional.  Dana and Wendy, you guys know where this is going don't you!  

This weekend was very very busy here at the Sioux Empire Fairgrounds getting ready for the big day tomorrow when the fair opens!!!  Yes, our job applications are in!  We cracked up at having to seriously fill out an application ~ something we never expected to do again in our lives!  Imagine, a whole application process to work a few hours over the course of a five day fair!  HMMMMM - interesting!

Anyway, the picture above is of one of the cars participating in an autocross event here at the fairgrounds on Saturday.  We were sitting in the coach and kept hearing screeching tires and I finally decided to get on my bicycle and investigate and came across the event.  It was interesting to watch for a while and this was my favorite car there - an older (1950 ish?) jaguar.  There was also a horse show happening here on Saturday which was fun to watch.  And the local semi-pro football team, "the Law Dawgs" had a game here Saturday afternoon.  Busy, busy busy around here and all the while the fair people continue to set up! 

And that all brings me to the "earily" part!  Yesterday I decided to head out to Mitchell ~ about 60 miles west of here.  Mitchell is famous for .......... The Corn Palace!  The Corn Palace is a building that is entirely covered with corn!  Seriously, cobs, husks, you name it ~ see for yourself!  They strip the building each year (early summer I believe) then put up tar paper on which they have drawn the layout for the design for the year and start covering it.  It is "interesting" if not unique to say the least.  Our friends Dana and Wendy were there some years ago when they were full timing and they were pretty under-whelmed with the whole thing, so it is a joke of sorts between them and me.  They referenced a similarity to the corn palace and wall drug and I guess I can understand the connection.  Both places leave you scratching your head wondering who the heck dreams this stuff up!  But I am glad I went yesterday ~ I mean how could I be 60 miles away and not see it!  Plus it is on the route to Sturgis and this is rally week so there were just hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of bikes and trailers headed out there - and that sort of made me wish we were there now!  I'm glad we were there this year prior to rally but a part of me did want to be there yesterday as all these bikes were going by me!

The picture below is inside the Corn Palace, which also is covered with cobs!  Of course, there were t-shirt vendors and vendors of all things corn - all of which I left right where it was!

In closing today a brief explanation of the photos below.  When my Dad passed away a few years ago we of course had to clean out/go through and get rid of everything.  My younger son Chad (who is very family oriented) took some of the old "Peck family" photos and sent them away to be scanned.  There were photos of my siblings and me as very young children and some much more recent photos of my boys and my nieces and nephews.  Below are two of my favorites in the collection - my dad and the other of my mom reading to my brothers boys when they were much younger (weren't we all!).  I have put all of the photos on the picasa site but they did not transfer well so they really need to be "tweaked" and I'm not sure how to do it - I may wait until I get them on a cd from Chad and see if they transfer from that better ~ but they are a trip in the way back machine to see - there are some beauties there for sure, and of course a couple that I have no idea who the people are - one of the down sides of having both parents gone - there's no one to ask!  But thankfully, Chad cared enough to do something with them!



No comments: