Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Friday, August 29, 2008

Raspberry, blueberry or strawberry rhubarb???

Yesterday, as I had mentioned, we went to the Amish community here.  It was pretty interesting and there were lots of great photo ops!  I did ask one young man if I could take a picture of his horses and wagon and he said sure as long as you don't take one of me ~ I took that to mean no people pictures at all.  I well could have misinterpreted the comment but I didn't want to push my luck and offend anyone so unfortunately there are no people pictures.  I would like to have chatted at length with some of them (sort of like I wanted to get the readers digest version of the Mormons in Utah).  I know absolutely nothing about their religious beliefs so I guess I'll wikipedia it ~ that will certainly provide the readers digest version! 

Anyway, the picture above is a wagon coming out of a side road onto a major county road ~ it was odd to see this for sure.  They just go along on the side of the road ~ and that horse was really moving.  That wagon was driven by a woman and she had her two young children with her ~ yup it would have made a great close up shot...

Below is a shot of a few wagons (are they really called wagons or are they buggies?) parked outside (there actually were about 25 of them parked here) a produce and livestock auction.  The wagons were parked clustered together in the same parking lot as about 40 cars - it was a neat contrast.
Below are a couple laundry pictures!  Yup I may have really gone off the deep end with this huh ~ taking pictures of laundry.  Rick said the people in these houses must think the '"tourists are getting really crazy these days taking pictures of laundry!!  I took the pictures because I really loved the colors and how the clotheslines looked with all those colors so perfectly hung!  The first one really cracked me up when we went by this house and on the way back I had to pull over to the side of the road to take the pictures.  See that long white line going up on the left side of the photo?  THAT is the white laundry and it is hung on a HUGE clothesline going from the house to the barn...... it just cracked me up - it looks like a kite string!  The second photo is a close up of the first one - check out that quilt on the end - isn't it beautiful and colorful.  In a previous life I used to make quilts but nothing as beautiful as that I fear!  The third picture is just a random Amish laundry photo (again because I loved the colors).  






Last is a view of an Amish farm property.  When we first saw these farms I said to Rick oh that must be one because of the windmill.  Again, he thought I was nuts .... but my logic was (and I still believe I am correct!! - stubborn who me?) that of course they have windmills to power their water pumps because they have no electricity.  I was very surprised at how large their houses and property is.  I guess I was thinking more along the lines of the Shakers who live so simply in sparse homes - maybe?  
And oh, by the way, raspberry, blueberry or strawberry rhubarb?  We bought one of each!  Froze two ... the third one, well guess what ......... yup we ate it.  It was delicious (blueberry, and I don't even like blueberry pie!)



No comments: