Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Monday, July 12, 2010

take me (us) out for some adventures

Well, I'm repeating posts here I guess at this point ~ hopefully, with enough variation that no one will be bored, but I will reference the ones from two years ago (yikes)  ... 'cause we are back (in case you hadn't noticed from my previous lame post) in our Sioux Falls - although, we surely haven't done as much as we did when we were here two years ago.



Way back then, I did a post about going to a minor league ball game (or two) to watch the hometown Sioux Falls Canaries ~ well what the heck, the Canaries are now the "Fighting Pheasants" ~ new owners, corny name ~ what can I say, I was, in no way, responsible and no one consulted us on this ~ surely we would have said NO WAY to this name ... The new mascot is "Ringer" (yeah I don't quite "get it" either).  Ole Ringer did make his way through to make nice with the fans.


Rick discovered that The "Dillinger Gang" (way back when) had robbed a bank here in Sioux Falls.  Actually, I think he was watching some late night movie a couple nights ago (not positive because 1) I don't often "do" movies and 2) late night isn't often  ~ well except tonight ;-) ~ my "thing".  Anyway, Rick recently came to know about the "Gang" being involved in a bank robbery here in Sioux Falls, so on our way to one of the "off leash" dog parks here today we just happened to go by the site of said robbery.  Now, there seems to be some controversy in the Whelan household ~ King Richard says there was a police officer shot and killed in said robbery (and has been very distressed that there is no monument in this officer's honor), I've not seen any reference to said officer while perusing links to include in this here post!  So, with that said, perhaps King can rest a bit easier tomorrow (he has long been snoring away tonight).  No disrespect intended to any officer or my dear dear King ... just can't find a reference.



So with ALL that being said, after a wonderful dinner tonight with our great friends Rick and Jaye we went over to the location of said bank robbery and were fortunate enough to go down the basement vault on the property








The location has been rehabbed into condos ~ I know, I know, we usually don't like to hear (or read) such things but what a marvelous job was done with this.  They've kept the integrity of the building and appreciated the history.  I tried to find a link to post here and I can't find one other than businesses at the address.  Guess you'll have to trust me, once again, that the renovation is outstanding.  What  the basement vault is now a "common" area for the condo owners ~ outstanding use of original space.


So seriously, check out these photos of King Richard with our friend Jaye (above) and with  her husband, Rick (below) .... Do you see any changes here from the photo in my last Sioux Falls post done two years ago?  Ummmm seriously you guys ~ what is the name of that diet?


So, once again we've extended our stay (shocking isn't it).  Hopefully we'll be on the road again Saturday or Sunday.   More on that truly unintentional, unwanted delay, later.  

Meanwhile there is a cattle show here at the fairgrounds this week, which may provide a post, but I do believe it would be similar to one I did two years ago when, I think, the same cattle thing was happening.  It is interesting to hear, in these wee hours, the tractors etc. outside the barns here working ~ I suppose moving, well ~ ummm manure ~ bedding, hay ~ you name it ... Sir Arlo still has NO interest in these cattle (and the specific breed I'll reference later, but frankly I'm too tired to look it up and put a link here right now) ~ all Sir seems to have an interest in is the area outside the Sioux Empire Kennel barn (great sniffing and peeing opportunities there you know) and the gophers (prairie dogs??) that dig holes ALL over these vast acres.

1 comment:

Chester said...

Mascots name of Ringer refers to "Ring Neck Pheasants"... a type of Pheasant. AND... the plaque says the Officer was wounded... maybe Hollywood needed more excitement in their movie!