Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Saturday, July 24, 2010

a gaggle of ???

Okay for those in the know ~ is it a gaggle of turkeys or a gaggle of pheasants?  I took this shot while we were in Oacoma along the Missouri River.  There was a beautiful bike/walking path and guess what ~


I braved it (prompted by King's sarcasm about carting the bike around and Sioux Falls being the perfect place to ride it and I never did, yada yada yada forgetting that no one ~he or I ~ would ride a bicycle in 95 degree heat) not only once but twice, one mile each way along the river ... I was working that bike so hard I broke a peddle off!

So I had to walk it back to the coach, 1/2 mile!  I finally got some exercise!  So I rode 3 1/2 miles and walked 1/2 .... does that constitute exercise???  Oh I'm suppose to do that every day?

While we were there we found a great park ~ Roam Free Park in Chamberlain.  What gorgeous views of the river.  



And a good place for Sir to do a bit of free running and playing, although there were signs warning of rattle snakes, so I wouldn't let him go off the paths ~ hmmmm I guess he wasn't really "roaming free" was he!


Down the road from the campground (accross from Al's Oasis, sort of "South of the Border" kind of place) were these new friends for Arlo to kabitz with.  Look at the way he is eyeing the big one, not too sure about this guy!

The next day we headed out for a ride, to see what's around and to find a swimming place for Sir.  We found this great area about 30 miles north in Fort Thompson (a tiny town that I believe was on the Crow Creek Indian Reservation).  We came across this terrific area for Sir ~ the Big Bend Dam.  Turns out it is a Corps of Engineers property with an outstanding camping area.  Many open sittes that would have accomodated us.  Who knew?  I've been unable to find a good, easy to use source of information on COE parks (the website I found was very challenging to say the least).




Right now we are off to beautiful Spearfish Canyon.  Stay tuned.We left that area last Wednesday and came to Sturgis.  Looks like we'll be leaving Sturgis tomorrow headed somewhere in Wyoming.  I thought Sheridan, but it looks like it may be Buffalo for a couple nights then on to Montana and hopefully Yellowstone, which is creating a problem because we haven't made reservations there and may not be able to find a place with anything available.  I need to take a couple hours and sit my butt down and do some research and emailing ~ that however will call for planning and commitments, something we don't do well these days!

Right now we are off to beautiful Spearfish Canyon.  Stay tuned.

No comments: