Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Friday, March 27, 2009

Georgia to South Carolina

As I mentioned in the previous post (hey what's up with this - two posts in as many days .. I think, and this time it didn't take several days to upload photos ... will miracles never cease!), we left GA on Tuesday.

One thing I noticed in GA, on interstate 16, other than the darned cement roads (bump bump bump bump) was that at the beginning of exit ramps, and the end of on ramps they had these gates (photo above).  We had seen them in SD or MN and I assumed (!!!) that they were to close off the interstate during major snowstorms.  In GA's case I can't quite imagine the purpose. Can anyone help me with this one?  As for the cement road - Kimberly you would have definitely needed your Dramamine for them - it was pretty awful.
Also, in the previous post, I mentioned I had some photos of Charleston, SC.  As many of you may know Rick and I are not particularly fond of heights - read huge bridges, among other things.  There is a humongous new bridge in Charleston that we were trying to avoid.  On the map it appeared that if we took route 526 around Charleston we would avoid the bridge as well as any others.  Well not so much - above was only one of the ones we encountered trying to avoid the one in the photo below.  The two links I just listed have some really interesting information - Chad and Chester, I think you two will enjoy the read!
So the plan to avoid the huge bridge was a good one, just didn't work out as planned!

Below are several cranes along the waterfront in Charleston.  

Rick and I were in Charleston last November and really really enjoyed our afternoon there.  I would like to have spent some more time there this visit to SC but it isn't going to happen and when we leave Murrells Inlet we will be headed north (Charleston is south of here so...).
Along route 17 just north of Charleston (aka the "low country") there are several shacks (some stands, but mostly shacks) selling sea grass baskets.  Usually the women sit there weaving the baskets.  I remember seeing these stands years ago when I was down here for my oldest son's graduation from Parris Island (I think it was 1996).  That trip we flew into Myrtle Beach and rented a car and drove down to Parris Island then came back up to Myrtle Beach so Joshua could have a little fun - something he probably hadn't had a lot of over the previous ten weeks! It was interesting to see all these places in this different lifetime .... I had forgotten that I went the same route back then that Rick and I did in November and then just this week!
It is gross and humid here the last couple days ... not terrific when you put hot flashes in there as well!  Now we are waiting for major rain to come in for the next couple days, as well as tornado warnings for tonight.  UGH .........  should be interesting - hopefully that's all, just interesting!


1 comment:

Lucy said...

Hope you survived the drenching weather up there.

Re: the gates -- my guess is this is a way the highway patrol closes off roads during mandatory evacuations due to a hurricane. That way they can turn North/South lanes into North.

Time to go North to escape the heat. The sticky/humid weather has already started down here . . . boo hoo