Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Wednesday, August 25, 2010

to puyullap

We left Moses Lake (WA) and headed to Puyallup on Monday the 16th.  Along the first 25 miles or so we kept passing these blue signs along the highway.



They identified the crops being grown, crop after crop after crop ~ alfalfa, timothy hay, wheat, potatoes corn ... I found it so interesting.  Often times they had metallic streamers along side (as in the wheat sign above).  I wondered who put these signs there - the farmers or the WA Dept. of Ag?  I suspect it was the farmers, although I'm not sure why they'd do it.  Whoever did ~ thank you.


Eventually we came upon the Columbia River as we approached Vantage, WA.  You know Rick and bridges ~ we came around a corner, headed down a "hill" and spotted the bridge in the photo above.  Rick says "we aren't crossing that right?"  Well I truly didn't believe we were.  OOOPS keep in mind however, I didn't put it there nor did I plan the interstate to traverse the Columbia River (some things really are out of my control, you know!)

It was very pretty for those of us that could look left and right while crossing.



As we were climbing climbing climbing yet another steep grade in the Cascade Mountain Range we came upon this "windmill farm".  It reminded me of the first time I'd seen windmills such as these when we crossed through mid Texas in February of 2008.  I was so intrigued by them and reminded of the battle that's been going on for years and years amongst the residents of Cape Cod and their strong opposition to a windmill farm miles upon miles upon miles out in "their" bay (I guess I shouldn't get on my soap box regarding those from "on cape" (I was recently chastised by a "niece in law" about such a thing).  It is such a passive form of energy I just don't understand the opposition.


Eventually we could see the mountains of the North Cascade National Forest (they range from 8,000 feet to 10,778 feet) off in the distance to our north.  Gorgeous aren't they!



Rick and I have commented to each other several times lately, while crossing the Rockies, the Bighorns and now the Cascades that we thought we knew mountains, being from New England.  WRONG ~ now we've seen mountains.  It truly makes me have a twinge of desire that I had the physical stamina to do some walking/hiking in these mountains and someone who also had the same desire!  Kimberly you and Jack would love it in these parts I'm sure.


Just a random photo along the journey from Moses Lake to Puyallup of an old abandoned building - I seem to be on a "kick" of abandoned building photos.  I wonder if they were abandoned before or after the interstate became their front yard?  I want to know a portion of the stories the walls could tell.

And somewhere along the way on that travel day, Sir Arlo awoke ..... and moved off his bed (where he travels).  Hmmm that could be a topic for another post - when I'm not backed up with three more pending posts!  

I did accomplish a few things today - some of the emails I owe, some sewing until "heat n bond" really annoyed me and I have to re-do an entire project because the damned stuff didn't bond!  I only wasted about five hours on that one!  I had done another of this project using steam a seam and it worked perfectly.







1 comment:

kimberly said...

How would I ever know these things if you didn't post them? That is really cool that farmers identify their crops out there! They must know someone is watching. Neat. I know we would love it out there and hope we'll get there some day.