Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Tuesday, August 24, 2010

oh dam

Yeah, Oh damn, I'm so far behind in the things I "need" to do ~ blog posts (I think I'm four posts behind), replying to/writing emails (I think I owe ten people emails), planning our sight seeing adventures not to mention planning our next couple destinations.  I guess I'm a bit anal about our destinations - I "need" to know where we'll be next - what campground, fairgrounds or lodge.  If we didn't have Sir Arlo I wouldn't care about such things, but I'm the one that takes him out in the morning (these days in the vicinity of 6:15) and I have safety concerns about where we are for that reason ... Obsessive behavior you say ~ hell yeah I don't deny it, but I just can't get beyond that mind set!  Further, I'm "behind" on a couple sewing projects I wanted done by now!



With all that said, I had to do some back tracking to figure the last post and the pictures I'd uploaded for this post and not much of it made sense to me!  Because of the brain cramp I had to go into our iphoto to figure where the heck the photos were taken and what I was thinking (now seriously, could you go back and figure why you did something a week and a half ago and make sense of it!?!?) when I uploaded them in the order I did - consequently I deleted eight from this post and will put them in the "proper chronological order"!  I do make things difficult for myself don't I!

I believe I "promised" a post about our most interesting trip to the Grand Coulee Dam when we were staying in Moses Lake a week and a half ago!  So here we go ....

With several recommendations that we see the Dam while we were sort of in the area (60 miles or so south) off we went late one morning.

Arlo did some swimming in Lake Roosevelt.  Only a brief swim ... as I said previously, words can not adequately describe our Lake Roosevelt experience, and we realized in hind site that I truly should have videoed our experience.


It went like this .... when Sir swims he is on his "short" (six foot) leash and sometimes on his "long" (30 foot) leash.  This particular day he was on his 30 foot leash.  There were some boaters there putting their boat in the water ~ we usually take Sir to boat launches to swim because there is a short walk in shallow water then he reaches swimming depths so he isn't wading while chasing a stick or ball, but is actually swimming.  Of course we waited for the family to get their boat launched and truck/trailer parked and boat loaded with whatever you load into a boat for a fun afternoon.  As we were walking down to the launch a truck pulled in and an older gentleman asked me if Sir was going to go swimming ~ to which I responded that yes he was going to swim for a few minutes.  Rick was walking Sir down the launch ramp - leashed of course (isn't that what a responsible dog owner does in a public area?) when this "gentleman" let his two dogs out of the back of his truck - unleashed and they run full speed for the water ... Well Sir doesn't want anyone or anything running at him full speed (who does) so he barked and ran towards the "offending" dogs as much as he was able because Rick had his leash shortened to about three feet.  Well said "gentleman" went absolutely ballistic about "slap that son of a bitch - if you don't slap that son of a bitch I will" .... we pointed out to him that Sir was leashed and his dogs were not ... he just wouldn't stop - we didn't respond to him again for five or so minutes while he just kept it up non stop - I'd never seen anyone so out of control - sir was wading in the water - his dogs were swimming and coming towards Sir a few times and he just wouldn't stop with his insanity.  His mouth and vocabulary were just out of control and at one point I asked him if he was talking to me to which he replied "no I'm talking to your husband or whoever that son of a bitch is" ... clearly SOB was the phrase of the day, as well as several "F bombs" ... continuously ranting about slapping that SOB ... his wife was absolutely horrified and walked away from him as soon as he started.  Finally after about fifteen minutes of this insanity he left - with our wishes for an enjoyable afternoon - use your imagination to figure his response to that!  I was so proud of myself to have not engaged this crazy person other than to ask if he was talking his filthy mouth to me and Rick didn't reply at all other than to wish him a nice day when he left .... UGH


The first two photos are of Lake Roosevelt .  The one above is of the Lake looking towards the top of the dam.



The two shots above are of the Dam from one of the lower observation areas.


The lousy photo above is to show the "light board" that is used for the nightly light show on the dam.  No we didn't see the show!

We traveled past Banks Lake between Moses Lake and the Dam.  We had a grossly disgusting bug splattered windshield so there were not many blog worthy photos, or photos even worthy of saving on iphoto for that matter!  I suspect that the one below was taken through an open window.  I just loved how the water sparkles with the sun on it.  Hey, how about that beautiful blue sky as well!

Also in our travels that day we stopped at Dry Falls (we were warned in advance, thank you Chris and Larry, not to ask where the falls are).



This area reminded me of a "mini" grand canyon ... the terrain is so similar.


The end.

2 comments:

Paul said...

The "gentleman" needed his a$$ kicked! Chester would have.

Kimberly said...

Wow oh Wow you guys; you both deserve bright gold stars on your tee shirts for your exemplary behavior! I am very proud of you. Bet your blood pressure was through the roof however. Bet that guy had a really bad day for the rest of it....Mental illness and psychotic behavior will get you every time.