Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Tuesday, November 4, 2008

yeah yeah yeah

I know Chester that it's been a few days since a post ... OOOPS .. so above is a photo for YOU.  I took it as we were traveling from Havelock, NC to what we thought would be our "destination" that day (Sunday) - we had planned on stopping for a few nights at the Elks Lodge in Wilmington (NC) (where I think I took the photo) which would have been about 100 miles for the day.  Sunday was such a lovely traveling day that about ten miles north of Wilmington Rick decided to continue.  At that point we didn't know if we'd continue for 30 miles or 100 miles but continue was the decision.
Along the way we passed many of these really "cool" houses - small (I would guess four rooms or so which is ideal for us "down-sizers") but the kicker for me was they have tin roofs - I have no idea what the attraction is but it is an attraction for me!  Lots and lots of these, some that have been added onto and some have that oh so awful faux brick covering stuff, but they have that tin roofing ~ I just love it .... imagine that on a rainy night or with a kitty cat trying to walk on it in July!  HUH  
Also, along the way .... fields like above - do ya know what it is ???  Yup it's cotton .. fields and fields of cotton.  I think I learned about cotton production in geography classes back in about the fourth grade (yes I know that was a looooong time ago), but at any rate cotton fields that I find kind of intriguing.  There must be a museum in these parts about cotton "farming" - who was that guy anyway, Eli someone right?  And what was his invention that automatically picked the cotton rather than people?  I think I need to investigate this further.    When we first started our "adventure" 13 months ago we stayed in a KOA in northern NC that bordered a cotton field but it had some pretty intimidating signs telling persons to stay the heck out ~ so guess what?  I stayed out!

No comments: