Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sunday, beautiful Sunday

So I am trying to post some pictures and stay "on top of" the blog!!  Yeah yeah yeah, I've been very bad with all this ~ I think it is because of the sun and the great "park" we are at.  As I mentioned earlier, I could just stay here for months.  Excuses all, I do realize ....

Yesterday when I was out on my bicycle (there is a terrific bike path that runs along the outskirts of this state park.  I think the path is in the vicinity of 5 miles (one way).  Anyway, I finally remembered to take my camera with me .. I've always tried to remember to never leave home without it  as it stays in my purse but obviously when I'm on my bicycle I don't carry a purse and as yet I haven't gotten a basket for my bike but it is on the list (along with some handle bar streamers (seriously).

Here at Huntington Beach State Park there is a causeway separating two bodies of water as you enter the park.  One body is saltwater (the marshes of Murrells Inlet) the other is a man made fresh water body of water.  

The photo above is of the marsh area at low tide.  I think there is an egret or two there, but I readily admit I am not close to being an ornithologist!  The rest of the photos are the freshwater side.  I need to investigate the history of this side ~ when and why was it developed?

There are three (I think) of these "wildlife viewing" areas along these bodies of water.  It is all so peaceful in this area ~ usually there are a couple photographers and a few "birders" but other than that no one.  In fact one of the photographers here this year was also here last year when we were ~ it seems he spends the entire day here!










The next couple photos are of the freshwater area showing some of the birds (fowl???) here.  I haven't a clue who is what ~ well not entirely true - there are cormorants and egrets and pelicans and blue heron but I can't recall who is what in the photos!


















  
The highlight of my bicycle trips here was the other day when I foolishly left home without my camera (see I need a basket or "something") and came across Ima Gator's little boy Al E. Gator and his cousins Al A. Gator and Ali Gator lounging in the shores of "Man Made Body of Water" sunbathing.  I will not leave home without said camera again as long as we are here (three more days!  Man it's a catch twenty two - I don't want to leave, but I want to get to Chester's and play and I want to get to the Keys!!)

On a different note, we traveled today - um ...... 30 feet to a site across from us and back to our original site ~ our tanks were full and we don't have a sewer hook up at this site ..... dump we did and came back to our site  Kind of a pain in the posterior but not a lot of choice in the matter.  Although Richard is "looking" into a "macerator pump" to deal with it ~ it would be very helpful to have it in the Keys but there are a couple brands and different "mounts" and it is such a major decision...... what is best, what is the best mount for our unit ~ blah blah blah.


No comments: