Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Sunday, May 25, 2008

This is what I'm talking about (well writing about)

So, if you've read the side bar entitled "This is our story ...." you are aware that a couple times I mentioned the people, the people and again the people we've had the honor to meet along the way ... THIS is a case in point!  The gentleman above is Matthew (and his delightful wife Betty Ann).  Matthew is 90 years old, a WWII vet, Matthew was there for the invasion of Normandy, the Battle of the Bulge, the liberation of Paris,  he is a former POW held in Germany  ~ Matthew received some of the medals due him a year ago (thanks to the supreme efforts of his wife Betty Ann) ~ he still has not been awarded (although earned) the Purple Heart!  The stories this man had were just unbelievable ~ how I wish I had a voice recorder while he, Betty Ann and I chatted .... Matthew is as "sharp as a tack" and an absolute delight.  He grew up in New York City, joined the military at the age of 19 (trained at Ft. Ethan Allen among others) was a pro boxer, an artist, a Teamster (who had to crank his truck to start it) ~ he is indeed the epitomy of what I mean when I reference the people we have met and the stories they have to tell ~ He is an absolute treasure and it was an honor to have met him and Betty Ann and  heard only a small portion of the stories they have to tell.
Above, of course, is a shot of the mountains looking east in Pahrump (why oh why do I have this "thing" for mountains?  Must be the Vermonter in me?) as the sun was casting some pretty awesome shadows on them.  I hope "you all" (nope that's not Vermonter speak is it!) realize that you can click on the pictures to enlarge them - some of them are worthy of enlargement (I think).

So at this point it's high ho and off to bed I go ~ I will be at the Memorial Day ceremony at 9:00 tomorrow morning - if for no other reason (and there are many other reasons) to honor Matthew.  And be thankful, oh so thankful, for those we love in the military who we, thankfully,  get to honor in person.

1 comment:

Beth said...

The people! It sounds like you had a wonderful time with Matthew and Betty Ann. I'm sure they enjoyed telling their stories as much as you enjoyed listening :) Matthew sounds interesting, and I always love a Betty Ann (are you reading this, Mom?)