Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Appropriately named do you think?

As noted, we left Pahrump yesterday with our changed plans.  Here we are in St. George, UT (beautiful St. George).  It's a rather "odd" area though - in regards to finding a place to have a cocktail and a warm  and sniggly reception.  I guess I'm stunned ~ and probably shouldn't be if I thought about it ~ that the Mormon values are  fairly strongly imposed on others.  Is that odd or have I been missing it for years with any religious group?  Does any of what I am saying make sense to anyone other than me?

Anyway, enough of that!  As I mentioned in my brief post last night we went through the Red Rock Canyon on our way here - talk about spectacular.  I think yesterday's travel was the most impressive we have had since we've been on this journey.  Here are two pictures of the "hillsides " .














After the Red Rock Canyon we went through (on route 15) Vegas and continued across the very northwest corner of Arizona for 30 miles into Utah.  In that tiny bit of Arizona we rode alongside the Virgin River Canyon.  Remember my post of the Grand Canyon?  There was a picture in that post of the Virgin River flowing into the top of Lake Mead.  Well the Virgin River Canyon was far more impressive than the river going into the Lake.  














I took some videos (my first real attempt) of the rock cliffs on both sides of the road as we were traveling through - Mario Andretti at the wheel!  It was a weird sensation to be looking through a camera at these things coming at me at 65-70 mpg.......weird, really weird.  I won't even be attempting to post the videos however.  At one point during the recording I decided I should turn the camera ~ DAH what was I thinking?  So of course to watch them I have to turn the laptop - good thing I wasn't trying to watch them on a pc huh!


When we finally arrive at the Lodge in St. George this is what we were greeted by!!!  Rick is certain that it was put there as target practice for him!  Pretty good huh!

Today I think I'm going to the local Chamber of Commerce to see what they recommend we do in the area - other than visit one of the temples here.  Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon are in the area so I think that's probably a must.  Also, there is "Snow Canyon" here but the name sends a bad, very bad feeling to Rick so we probably won't be touring Snow Canyon!  Just the thought of it sends chills down his spine!


No comments: