Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Grand Canyon High (sort of like a Rocky Mountain High but different)



So we finally did our Grand Canyon helicopter tour - and what a Grand tour it was.  I took 233 pictures - Rick always tells me I'm wasting film!!  Thank goodness for digital cameras!  I can only seem to post five pictures to each blog post (probably some people are breathing a sigh of relief over that one), so of course I will upload a new album on the picasa site of our tour.  Anyway, here we are getting ready to go .... go .... go...
Above is the Hoover Dam pretty amazing project.  Note on either side of the dam is the new bridge (Hoover Dam Bypass) that was started three (or so) years ago - the thought of going over that thing scares me more than driving over the dam!  Check out that link to the bypass - there are web cams of the project - Chester you will love it!
Above is Lake Mead and the Virgin River flowing into it.  I think this picture is a good view of the water level that I had mentioned in an earlier post - as you can see from the white on the mountains surrounding the lake the water is very low - still beautiful but low low low.
And here we are over the West Rim of the Canyon.  At this point we were above 5000 feet.  It was about 7:00 in the evening and the sun was starting to go down so I got some great sunset pictures on the return to the airport - which, you guessed it will be on the picasa site.
We had a great tour and I am so glad we did it.  Words really can't describe it.  The helicopter pilot was great with historical facts and stories along the way.  At one point we flew over the 
Sky Walk that the Hualapai Indians built.  It sure looked tiny and unimpressive from where we were!  I had wanted to go there but found out that I couldn't take my camera on it so decided not to go.  

For our next adventure..................... we are talking about renting a boat and touring Lake Mead by ourselves ....  Arlo needs to go swimming in Lake Mead, not play at the mucky beach at the boat launch he went to.

No comments: