Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Saturday, September 5, 2009

There's something about ...

a man wearing a skirt. Rick says if the men heard me refer to it as a skirt they'd likely not be happy. But anyway ~
We are at the Guilderland, NY Elks Lodge, just south (??) of Schenectady. We came in here Friday and will leave in the morning on our westward journey. We have no hook ups here so it has been a good "test" for us to try to conserve water, our gray and black tanks and electricity. We have been running the generator a couple times a day for an hour or so to recharge the batteries and so far we've done quite well (I think we have, but then again we may smell like goats and don't know it). We wouldn't be able to do this if it were hot out - well we would, but we'd be running the generator constantly and I HATE it - it is loud ~ but I sure am glad we have it. NO Chester I am not whining!

When we came in Friday there were people preparing for a private function dinner for some of those involved in the Scottish Games that are being held a few miles down the road. Seriously, how the heck does anyone eat haggis? The thought of it makes me want to hurl, beyond that - how does someone come up with this combination and consider it edible? It had to have been out of serious desperation wouldn't you think?

The photo above is some of the people arriving for the dinner. I, unfortunately, didn't inquire about the history but we saw several woman wearing scarves/shawls whose plaid matched their husbands kilts. We also, of course saw several women wearing kilts.

We did go to the games yesterday - how fun it was. We took several pictures, which I will try at another time to upload. There were Irish step dancers performing- just precious little girls out there - some as young as, I'd guess five or six (Moelicious did YOU ever be a step dancer?). I loved watching them and there were several Irish and Scottish bands - ( LOVE LOVE LOVE that music - too much fun ... and the later in the day, the more fun the music becomes and the rowdier the performers become!) As well as the music there was a dog agility performance (that we missed) and of course the "traditional Highland Games - most of which we missed - I wanted to see the log throwing one but we DID see hay bale (I think it was) throwing. As well as that there were, of course, LOTS of vendors ~ many of which were selling kilts - even tiny little almost Muffin sized kilts - size 1 - imagine how cute! The men's kilts take eight yards of fabric - as a "seamstress" this blew me away ~ I can't even imagine making one (as in there wouldn't be money enough in the world to talk me into making one). They were gorgeous and beautifully made. I remember having one when I was little - have no clue where it came from, but I remember the kilt pin and I just was certain I was "the bees knees" when I wore it - Kimmerly, was mine handed down to you?

We will be leaving here in the morning, headed to another (I think) Lodge in Henrietta, NY just south of Rochester as we head west to Michigan.

1 comment:

Chester said...

Suet (/ˈsuː.ɪt/) is raw beef or mutton fat, especially the hard fat found around the loins and kidneys.

Oh how I want to puke!