Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A potpourri



King Richard has this habit of observing people then looking at me and saying "we aren't them, right?".  Case in point ... the last morning we were at Braunig Lake RV Resort (where we stayed outside San Antonio, where the King fell off the ladder etc.), a campground I really liked, by the way, I happened to look out the window and saw the gentleman above.  I had to do a double take when I realized he had his "dash dog" in his bicycle basket!  Seriously, can you imagine Sir Arlo in a bicycle basket!  I give the gentleman a lot of credit tho ~ at least he is out on his bicycle, as Rick says, we just carry ours around!  (I did, however, finally fix the latest flat on mine the other day as well as put a kick stand on it!)  There was a plethora of dash dogs in that rv park.  The area of the park we were in had a nice area to walk dogs, unfortunately it was loaded with dash dog poop - apparently the dash dog crowd doesn't see the need to be responsible dog owners ~ in fact the morning we were leaving I nearly stepped in some deposited right at our doorstep when I took Sir out for his first morning walk (when I am half asleep)!

Alright, my rant is over and I will now step down off my soapbox!

My youngest son (Chad, the marathoner) had his second knee surgery yesterday and hopefully this time it was successful.
My older son (Joshua, the Marine) is finally returning home from four weeks in Yuma tomorrow.  Not a moment too soon, I might add, as his wife and son have been sick quite a bit since he's been gone.  Speaking of which, their son (Connor) will be having tubes put in his ears again on Thursday (just like his Dad, this seems to be an annual event!)

We decided to stay here in Ottine, TX (a topic for a future post, I'm sure) for another week.  We just love it here and we have the place pretty much to ourselves (a single guy at the front of the park, we are at the back).  It is beautiful and woodsy, Sir can run around like a nut on this vast property, we can go for walks in the woods, we have campfires and we've gotten so much done here - upkeep sort of stuff ~ washing the trailer, washing the bikes, like I mentioned repairing my bicycle, washing the coach etc. etc.  The weather has been outstanding during the day - usually somewhere in the 70's, past two nights have been cold - 27 Sunday night and 32 last night (well those were the temps when Sir and I got up in the morning).  

Rick and I went out on the bikes the other day after we washed them and had a nice ride!  So with that rambling ..... we will be leaving here Saturday and headed to Houston.  I had wanted to get settled in there before we fly out next week, but the desire to stay here was greater I guess!



One day last week we went to New Braunfels (about 40 miles away) for an afternoon.  There is a section of town called Gruene (pronounced Green), originally settled by a German family.  Below are photos of Gruene Hall ~ Texas' oldest dance hall ~ and the reason we went to New Braunfels.





Does it look at all familiar?  This was where the dance hall scene in the movie "Michael" (with John Travolta) was filmed.  Sorry about the darned wires in the first photo - I hate them to, and don't know how to remove them from the photo (I'm sure there is a photo program that allows such things, but this girl doesn't know it!).  

We loved Gruene, just a charming old part of town with a couple interesting shops and a couple great restaurants.  After we left Gruene we went to the New Braunfels Elks Lodge - not at all a friendly lodge - thankfully we've been to so many that we do know this is not an example of Elkdom, but when several officers sit at a bar and never acknowledge, never mind welcome, visiting Elks something is clearly wrong!  We had a great day in the area so I tried not to let this event ruin it!

I'd like to go back to Gruene Hall one night this week for music, but don't know if we'll get there.  Last Sunday night Willie Nelson was there - sold out at $105/per ticket!  They have free music during the week .... we shall see.

Stay tuned ....

No comments: