Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Monday, October 18, 2010

Things around the springs

This post was started Sunday (10/17) morning .... some things take time time time ... 

Colorado Springs that is.  We've been here for just over a week and think (???) we're leaving tomorrow morning (we shall see).  I can't seem to get my bearings here - the city is quite large, larger than most we've been in lately and I just can not seem to get grounded and figure out where and what direction things are from where we are at.  It's been a role reversal of sorts ~ Rick seems to have gotten direction squared away in his head.   



Rick headed off to the Air Force Academy the other day.  Not sure how much of it he saw, he did say it is very spread out.  I'm not even sure how much of it is open to the public.  I know the chapel is considered a "must see" there.  The photo above is the outside of said chapel, below is obviously, the inside.


A random view of the grounds below.


Earlier last week we went to the "Garden of the Gods" ~ another must see.





I think this was another missed opportunity - seems we did not see this beautiful park to its fullest.  Nor did we see the visitor center at all - other than when I went in to get a map.  Sir and Rick waited in the car and it was rather warm that day, so leaving Sir in the car while we toured the center wasn't an option!    I also thought while we were in the area we'd head into Denver (35 or so miles north) - I had wanted to do a tour of the mint - never happened ... not sure at all why this stop just seemed to not even come close to our exploring it to the "fullest", but we failed miserably on this one.

With that said we ARE leaving in the morning - headed to very northern New Mexico - Raton to be precise.  

Stay tuned, however for a couple posts of other things we did do while here in Colorado Springs, including "running into" a very distant cousin of mine (by marriage) yesterday at a local establishment where we watched the Patriots play a great game.  Hopefully I will get to that (or those) post(s) within the next couple days.  I know I've been a bad slacker again - Rick pointed it out to me the other day ... seems that posting has really become a "chore" and obligation lately ~ a mind set I certainly need to get beyond.




3 comments:

Chester said...

You do such a great job!!! I love the photos and of course your writing style.
As hard as it might be at times to write I would hate to see it come to a stop :-) I've been traveling the USA with you guys for the past three years and I don't want to get off the bus.

Kimberly said...

I'm with Chester. (Who is Chester, by the way?)Because you are so far away and "out of touch" this is the way we keep you close. And, like Chester, I'm enjoying the ride in the unit too! Hope you are having a great time in New Mexico. Oh - can't wait to hear more details on the distant relative by marriage.

Yeah, who is that Chester? said...

I agree! It's one thing to see where you guys are on a picture of a map or from talking. It's way better to see it in photos and to see what is really up.