Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Tuesday, October 5, 2010

edelweiss, but no chicken ;-(

There may be a few out there in my blog land that know how much I love love love (seriously) the chicken dance.  So really, what's up with an Oktoberfest without a chicken dance or ooom pah music?


Oh alright, we had a great time at the Grand Junction Oktoberfest celebration last Saturday.  Great music and great dancing to watch.  This young dancer (above and below) was just such a delight to watch ~ he must have had a fine teacher and learned well the polka moves!  Oh he was so much fun!


Not to mention that two men in particular from the band were so much fun to watch beyond their musical talents.  They clearly enjoyed interacting with the "audience" and one in particular enjoyed and made a special effort to include the children.


Shown below is himself, Gerhardt who seemed to thoroughly enjoy the children - here he is ringing his bells (or playing with his ding a lings as he liked to point out!!), singing Edelweiss then instructing the children in attendance the finer points of bell ringing.





Last, but not least was the beer stein holding competition!  Hold the heavy glass stein full of a liter of beer out for as long as you can - you spill any you're out of the competition .... sound easy?  I don't think so.  The contest went on for perhaps ten minutes before there was only one man standing!  It started with eight competitors (including one female).


Very early on in Rick and my relationship we went to an Oktoberfest in Cambridge, MA - way way back ~ that's when he witnessed first hand my chicken dancing ability (or lack thereof) and my trying teach a Russian (I believe) girl how to do it - oh I had so much fun, and that was years before I started drinking, just good good fun!  It was warmer here in Colorado than that Oktoberfest in Massachusetts, but I had a great time in spite of 80 degree weather.  We are really enjoying our stay here in Grand Junction, so much in fact that the usual has happened - we had planned to leave here this past Sunday and extended to tomorrow, at which time we will be extending again for a day or two or three!

2 comments:

Chester said...

Looked like SO MUCH fun!!!

Anonymous said...

how are you!This was a really fabulous Topics!
I come from roma, I was luck to find your subject in baidu
Also I get much in your theme really thanks very much i will come daily