Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Monday, October 25, 2010

There is no perfect, but


We've been in two different parts of New Mexico for the last week or so.  This post is about the last campground we were at.  I've always been a firm believer that there is nothing "perfect" in this world - there are things that come darn close to a 10 and this campground is a case in point.  I was so sad to leave here - it's nearly everything I want in a campground, but we couldn't have campfires.  It was quiet, no foolish security lights at night so you can't see the stars and there was wildlife everywhere!

The first morning we were there these guys were walking in the site next to ours when I took Sir out for his/our morning walk.



The morning we were leaving all these antelope were grazing in the meadow just beyond our site.  This is one of the meadows where the deer and the antelope play!

Not only was there a plethora of wildlife, we were surrounded by these beautiful mountains.





Some of which had New England like colors!

Not to mention an outstanding sunset as Sir and I walked to the dumpster one evening!



So where is this loveliness?  It was in Raton, NM (Raton is the northern most town on I 25, just south of Colorado).  We've been staying at a lot of lodges lately, and there was one in Raton but they had no rv parking space or facilities.  Usually when I choose a campground I first decide on a destination somewhere between 150 and 200 miles from where we are leaving (unless there is an area we want to go to for a specific reason).  Then I go to an outstanding website that I swear by. The site is reviews of campgrounds by real honest "campers" - no advertising, no campground owner reviews ~ I rely on rvparkreviews.com.  Well the campground I found in the Raton area (and there weren't a lot of choices) was the Whittington Center.  

Strangely enough the Whittington Center is affiliated with the NRA - there are many many shooting ranges on the 33,000 acre property.  Hard to believe with all the deer and the antelope that there are shooting ranges.  I must admit, I was a bit concerned about the noise and just the environment of an NRA facility - it was so huge and spread out that I truly didn't realize the affiliation.

No comments: