Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Wednesday, June 30, 2010

is it a weather rodeo or is it rodeo weather?

So yup, I'm back from Massachusetts and New Hampster, trying to play "catch up" and getting ready to leave Platte City, MO in an hour and a half or so (I guess perhaps that's why Sir got me up at 6:30 this morning, in order for me to get my butt moving early for a change)

It was such a bittersweet trip north.  Great to see my Muffin Princess and all the family I saw, but it was so so sad for me.  I was chatting with Rick yesterday about why I took this death so hard - I think because of the nasty illness but not certain.  Anyway, thankfully that is behind me now and we all move on and remember all the fun Auntie Gert provided us for many many years, we were so fortunate to have had such a special aunt, who could always be counted on for entertainment and silliness!

Not certain what my last blog post was and, frankly, I'm too lazy to look it up so here we go ....

Before we came to this very nice campground in Platte City, MO (just outside Kansas City) we were at the Boone County Fairgrounds in Columbia, MO for a couple nights.  Well it just so happened that the MO High School Rodeo was happening at the same time we were there.  





Maureen you would have LOVED it for sure - all those cowboys, with their hats and boots and some with chaps - oh girl you'd have been out of your mind!



Even some roping tutorials ... This girl was fun to watch practicing, then this gentleman came along to show her the ropes (I am so punny aren't I)








And this young man was headed out to practice his roping skills as well!

So much activity all around the fairgrounds, including horses getting cooled off and apparently thoroughly enjoying it ~ heck it was never below 95 degrees and like a sauna the entire time we were there (and here in Platte City as well).  I can't imagine how uncomfortable these people were wearing long heavy pants and for those competing long sleeved shirts as well!  UGH ~ not for this cowgirl for sure!

Our "site" was right across from the farrier ~ actually, he was the horseshoeing school (who knew!)  It was so interesting to watch.




Then the weather in these parts ~ it can be clear blue skies one minute and five minutes later this is what it looks like - moves fast, very fast, with very strong winds and tornado warnings.  Day after day after day ..... I really don't remember ever encountering weather like this continuously for so long.  It was so nasty hot and gross here before I headed north that I didn't go out of the house much other than to walk Sir Arlo.  Consequently, I never saw any of Kansas City (well I did see the airport twice, but that's hardly seeing a city!!).  

Rick did a bit of riding while I was gone, including the Harley plant tour (which just happens to have been the plant where my bike was born).  I'd love to come back and explore the area, but it would be in October or March or April I think, never again in June!





So today we are off to Gretna, NE, just outside Omaha.  I was in Omaha a couple years ago with my baby sister and thoroughly enjoyed it and think Rick would as well, so we will be there for three nights then head "home" to Sioux Falls for a week or two! 

Ahh, back on the road.


1 comment:

Chester said...

Oh goody it works! thank you Honey... good to see you're home!