Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Catch up (but we're out of relish)


Seems I have quite a bit to catch up on here on the blog!

We left Honesdale, PA (where we went for four nights after we left Coatesville, PA) on Monday morning headed to a Fairgrounds in Cobleskill, NY.  Well we made it to Cobleskill and got a big surprise ~ thankfully Rick and I were very observant before we caused major damage.  Cobleskill from what I saw is a very depressed town (college town tho, which is surprising to me) and perhaps this is just another case of things just taking care of themselves and working out.  As we took a right off Main Street onto the street where the fairgrounds is located ~ what to our wondering eyes should appear ~ a train overpass with a height of 11' 8'' ~ well the coach is 12' 5" plus the satellite dish!  Put those breaks on Rick .... so we blocked traffic a bit for ten minutes or so to figure out a "plan".... the only way out of this was through a bank parking lot (going the wrong way in a one way area, which was the least of our concerns at this point).  However, to continue our exit strategy we had two tight left turns.  I ended up pulling four signs out of the ground so Rick could maneuver the second left (yes I did put them back in the ground) ~ Rick was laughing and laughing at me and could finally compose himself enough to say he wished he had a video of that move!  Heck a woman's got to do what a woman's got to do ya know.  

So when that maneuvering was complete we got the car out of the trailer and I went in search of an alternate route to the fairgrounds and check out the grounds.  I am glad I am fortunate enough to have a pretty decent sense of direction.  I finally found the fairgrounds and wasn't overly impressed - in the meantime Rick had headed off (the phones were not working well in the area so communication was fairly non-existent).  We couldn't find a place for Rick to turn around and at this point I was quite frustrated (read really pissed off) with the whole deal so I headed back onto the highway ~ interstate 88 I think (I was still in the car, Rick following in the coach).  We called two campgrounds in the "area" and both had not opened for the year yet!  We ended up driving onto interstate 90 and above and below are photos of where we spent Monday night!  Yeah a service area ... with less than delightful fast food .... Oh what a night ...
Yesterday our plan was to head to Bennington, VT, but when I routed that out it took us over there on route 7 and 9 and I just had a sneaking suspicion that we ran the risk of a repeat performance with low overpasses so that plan, unfortunately was scrapped.  We ended up in Bernardston, MA at a campground that I always wanted to try when we lived in MA and my parents were out here in Leyden and Greenfield.  Better late than never I guess and this is a lovely campground (now if the flippin rain will stop for 24 or 36 hours!) and being here will give me an opportunity to put some flowers at their headstone.


Now, for the Coatesville, PA area (we stayed at a Moose Lodge there for nine or ten days - I think it was).  Oh my what a gorgeous area.  I enjoyed all of PA in fact, I had no idea how beautiful that state is and I'd go back in a half a heart beat (just not through Cobleskill) and the people were all so friendly.

I think I'd mentioned in a previous post that we were in the Amish/Mennonite area (Lancaster County).  Below are two photos of a couple women out joy riding on a beautiful sunny afternoon!  Have I mentioned how much I loved that area.


Another thing I loved about the area was these beautiful old stone buildings.  I assume it is local stone because there are just so so many of these stone buildings.



The one below is a restaurant in Sadsburyville (next to Coatesville) called Harry's, where we spent some time on a few different occasions.  The place is absolutely gorgeous inside - and what restorations have been done have been meticulously done and period correct.  I just loved the place (and the food was pretty good too!)
Below are a couple shots of the Lodge we stayed at ~ they lodge owns nine acres and it too is just lovely.  Sir had lots of room to run and play and act like a fool.  There was a small pond there with ducks and geese (so we could play "duck, duck, goose").  Another warm, welcoming Lodge that we thoroughly enjoyed.



Sir even got a new "wilson" because I kicked the old one into the pond and was unable to retrieve it.  It did, eventually, get blown on the grass by a heavy wind so now we have a spare wilson.
Moving along to Honesdale, PA .. We stayed at a terrific campground there - we were both unimpressed and frustrated when we first got there - it took us an hour to try to level the coach and we weren't totally successful with it.  I ended up just loving the place.  Nice sites (although not level sites) and it was early enough in the season that we had the place pretty much to ourselves (there were three other occupied units during the week - the weekend was busier).  And we got to finally have a campfire!!  I could have stayed there for many more days.

While there we traveled into the "downtown" area about six miles away.  A nice old downtown with several interesting shops and this gorgeous old hotel that would be a terrific spot for a "sister weekend"!

So here we are back in MA, cold, wet MA ....  I sort of feel like our exploring is on hold for a while since we are all too familiar with MA .... and New England for that matter....

In closing, Chad and Amy are leaving for vacation today ... a "trip of a lifetime" ... HAVE A GREAT TIME GUYS.

No comments: