Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Dog day in Deland



So seriously, how often do you go to a Dog Mardi Gras parade?  Me neither, so today was a first for us ~ although Sir was not in attendance.  My original plan was to have him be in the parade wearing some of my New Orleans beads ~ ummm logic seems to have prevailed and I (we) decided not to take advantage of yesterdays good fortune when Sir made new friends at the bark park.


Before I continue about the parade .... Rick and I recently learned that Frick doesn't like peacocks (!?!?!?!?  HUH) so it was most appropriate that I take many photos of this "lovely" poodle/peacock ~ wishing Frick was here to see it first hand.   Since you weren't here Frick, we could only wonder if you'd have stood there watching this dog/peacock or run "for the hills"?? 

The next several photos (as well as the babe above with the coconut bra) are just some sites from, and around, the parade .... 



NOPE, that is not Sir above ... truly.  And below, let me assure you, I am NOT in that photo ~ those are the 2008 debutantes of Deland, FL.  Who knew debutantes were still around!  WOW
Seriously ~ a debutante .... I have a difficult time comprehending that in this day and age .... can someone help me out here ~ Mom, I need you to help me out with this one, cause gosh Mom understood ~ her daughters didn't, but she surely did and tried to instill the "logic" in her three daughters (is there really logic in debutante?)!
And below, yet another parade bystander shot!
We had a great day today and Sir went back to the dog park this afternoon to work of some of that pent up energy.

I've told Rick several times in the three days that we've been here how much I really like this town.  For some reason it reminds me a lot of our hometown of Sioux Falls (Rick and Jaye where the heck are you guys?).  Deland, FL is a very warm and welcoming town with old, lovely kept or rehabbed buildings, streets that are laid out with some logic, interesting shops and very very friendly, inviting people.  I've mentioned several times throughout the last 15 1/2 months that some Lodges are more welcoming than others - well this is one of those very welcoming Lodges.  We've met some terrific people from many walks of life (as you've read that is one of the high points of these travels of ours).  Deland is certainly on our "do return" list.

With all that said (well written) we are leaving here tomorrow to head north.  We'd planned to be out of here today, but I really (read whined) wanted to witness the "parade" today.  Oh by the way, the parade lasted 50 minutes (Rick timed it, it didn't matter to me how long it lasted ... it was a blast!!)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peacock's like to attack their prey when they are not looking.....one must always be on the lookout for a peacock......there are no such things as peacock lovers, just people who are already on the lookout.......hell, chuck norris is only afraid of the peacock!!!......it's all true, you can even check wikipedia......