Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Thursday, January 28, 2010

The dancing girls

One of my favorite places to go in these parts (well actually I think I have about a dozen "favorite places" so what the heck does that say?) is Alabama Jacks (can't seem to put a link here) but it is a very funky place about 15 miles down the road (well I guess it is up the road since it is north of here) - actually, it is two floating barges on a canal in and/or around Biscayne Bay. I think I did a post about it last year but it is surely worthy of another.

Now to those dancing girls. Damn to have their energy. I've tried and tried to upload a video (as I think I may have done last year as well) and can not seem to accomplish the task - even with a help mail to blogger!!! Gosh darn and fiddlesticks (that is my word of the week, by the way and my cousin was just horrified at such strong language from me weren't you Laurie) - you'd have loved it I'm certain.


The woman above (as well as on the left hand side of the first photo) named Betty, I believe, is just a HOOT, to say the least. If my memory is correct (which is certainly debatable) she was 79 last year when we were here and chatted with her -which I do believe would make her 80 these days ... This women has more energy flowing in 20 minutes than I do in 24 hours - she is remarkable, enjoyable, delightful and just a very sweet woman.

While we were there she happened to take a break from her dancing for about two and a half minutes and as I was walking by her I had the pleasure of chatting for about 2 minutes of her break - I explained to her that I'd been waiting a year to get back there and was so delighted to see that she was still a Sunday dancing girl!

Now don't get me wrong, these are not women that the establishment hires - they are just three woman who love to dance and this is the place that they chose to be on a Sunday afternoon. Gotta tell you, the band is a bit on the "country western" side, but not exclusively, and Betty, Fran and I can NOT remember the third woman's name just add to the music and thoroughly enjoy themselves, while endearing themselves to the "crowd" ~ although King Richard did divulge to me last Sunday that his tolerance for such fun lasts about three and a half minutes - mine well heck, I could have stayed well beyond the time the "band" was there, which I think is two until seven, but alas, I compromised at 3:00 when the band went on their first break that if we could stay for 30 minutes, just 30 minutes after they came back then we'd go wherever he wanted (a lot to be said for this compromise thing, cause damn I sure wanted to stay, but what's the point if your pal is clearly not having any fun?!?!).

Wow, I went off on a tangent there didn't I! Anyway, in the photo above Betty has just finished one of her great ("infamous") flash the pantaloons moves. I just think this woman is terrific - she is so flippin full of fun and full of life.
And look at these children out enjoying the time! It so reminded me of my nephew Tim's wife Kelly who is a dance instructor with two daughters - I was so picturing my "great nieces (WOW seriously, I am a great aunt - well great aunt as in age - great aunt as in great to my nieces and nephews, well ummmmmmm) Emily and Hayley out there getting into the dance thing - at one point the younger one (in the white dress) mimicked Betty after she did the show the pantaloons move - it was so cute, adorable and just darned precious. Oh my Muffin, Pie-face, Princess, can you and I imitate this move in a year or two - your Vovo's will just LOVE it I'm sure (oh lucky Vovo"s who are loving on you right this minute ~ hugging, squeezing, piano playing, walking and dancing with you as T~T blogs away).
Okay, so I guess that's about it for now as I try to play "catch up ~ NO not ketchup, in this blog posting and trying like heck to redeem myself once again. As I just asked on my status update on facebook - is it an oxymoron to realize you have the world by the balls but be pissed off at the world ..... hmm to ponder .... g'night all and to all a good night.



oh and by the way ..... did anyone notice anything different about Betty between the first photo and the last? OH she is so terrific....

2 comments:

Chester said...

Lost her dancing boots!!!

Tracey said...

You are so observant Chester! She didn't lose them, but she put on her tap shoes instead! I just love watching her.