Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Monday, November 9, 2009

SUPER

It seemed to us that if we were within 60 miles of Metropolis, IL we probably should go over the bridge, and through the woods and farm land and get to the "super" land!

Another small town America finding a claim to fame! We loved it.
As you can see below if you enlarge the photo, Sir was less than loving it - as usual he was very intimidated by this large being he was "forced" to pose with!!!


Daily planet, phone booth and all, Metropolis has done well - really well. I did see in a local paper while we were there that ground has been broken for a Lois Lane statue as well! I don't know, however, how close it will be to the Sup's statue. And what about the poor underling in the trio - we were trying to remember his name - was it Jimmy something?

It was surprising to us that the local businesses, other than the "souvenir" store, don't seem to play up on the Superman theme. When we were at the Spam museum, the entire town seemed to play into it - not so much in Metropolis, IL!
A trio of women tourists (obviously very silly tourists - they were a blast and reminded me of crazy sisters on a "sister weekend"!) took the photo below - oooops they didn't tell me I was "off center" and Arlo was hiding behind me - not in the picture as intended! Oh well, it was all fun and they were so entertaining for sure.
Sadly, for Arlo and I, we left the wonderful Elks Lodge in Cape Girardeau this morning and traveled to West Memphis, AR - across the river from Memphis, TN. We did go into Memphis tonight for some barbecue and a visit to the Peabody (missed the ducks by about 10 minutes unfortunately) and a trip down Beale Street. We are staying for two nights at a terrific campground we stayed at last year - right on the Mississippi River, where we get to watch the barges and boats go up and down the river all day and night. It did seem this afternoon that river traffic was much much slower than last time we were here. In the time between when we got here until we headed over to Memphis this evening (three hours or so) we saw only one barge on the river - usually that time frame would have involved no less than ten - go figure!

Unfortunately when we headed into Memphis tonight I totally forgot to bring the camera - it was on the console of the coach from our travel today - and I forgot to put it back in my purse when we headed out ~ darn darn darn. I did take a few pictures with my phone but it has no flash and the photos I took were on an outside patio but it was dark out so I doubt they came out ~ we shall see when I load all the camera and phone pictures to the laptop tomorrow, but for now I'm off to la la land ....

No comments: