Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Monday, December 29, 2008

It's been surreal ...

It's been such a weird series of events ... the way they've sort of all been connected.

Last week Rick and I were watching "The Bucket List".  Keep in mind I rarely watch movies ~ I can count on one hand the number of movies that have held my interest long enough to sit through about two hours of them!  I never did get to see the end of the Bucket List, but I thought it might make an interesting blog post - not from the morbid or depressing side, but as a "thought provoking" post - let's face it my posts aren't exactly thought provoking now are they!  Anyway, I'll get back to that train in a moment ... more important to me right now is this:

My dear friend Candy called me the other day to inform me that my former boss had passed away (our former boss in fact).  To say that it was distressing is putting it very mildly.  I have always referred to Jim as the best boss I ever had ~ and I mean that very sincerely.

<span class=jimanderson.jpg">
I worked for Jim ~ at the company he formed (Old Colony Marketing) for nine years.  He was one very special person.  He had shoulders the size of all of New England and an ear that was always willing to listen.  Part of the time I worked for him was probably the most distressing time in my life personally ~ I had lost a niece suddenly when she took her own life (Jim was there to listen and hand tissues), Jim was there when I was separated from my first husband, Jim was there when I had major surgery with complications, Jim was there when my oldest son went into the military and I was a crazy mom (that may not have changed) ... He was just always there.  Jim allowed my schedule to be as flexible as I needed it to be when I had two young sons - he didn't care if I came in at 10:00 PM and worked until 2:00 AM (and I often did), Jim didn't care if I brought my dog to work (and I often did) ~ in fact I dog napped Jim's dog Sam, who lived with my family for three or four years.  

Not only was Jim a great boss, he was a terrific person, who impacted many many lives.  Peace to you Jim, wherever you are!



Now, to the bucket list post ... if you had a bucket list what would be on it?  Think about it?  I couldn't come up with one thing to put on mine so I guess I just have to "think" harder about it ... but I'd love to read what your list would include.




Lastly, on the recent surreal events ... yesterday we were trying to find a place where Sir could just let loose and chase his soccer ball and act like a nut (read fenced field).  Well the Keys are not at all dog friendly - we have been unable to find a place where a dog is welcome that is fenced (or a corner of a public beach for that matter).  We came upon a place that we thought had potential in Key Largo ~ well it may have had potential but Sir wasn't welcome there!  While we were walking we came upon this place called the "Children's Memorial Tree Gardens Inc" an interesting place indeed.  Note ~ I did try to find a link but I couldn't find anything that was informative (also, I tried to upload a photo of a plague at the entry to the garden but had no luck with that either) so you'll have to trust me on this one ... it fits in quite well with the theme here.  Speaking of which I hope it wasn't a "down" post - it wasn't intended that way at all ... it was just a surreal series of events ....

No comments: