Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Wednesday, March 23, 2011

whistling Dixie

At the Hattiesburg Elks Lodge ~ which is located in Dixie, MS, an area we fell in love with.  I once again, had a mental image of something that was so out of the realm of what the real picture is!  Trust me when I say this is a gorgeous area with beautiful green rolling hills ~ who knew?  Certainly not I.

Below is the view I started my day with while walking Sir at 7:00 each morning.


The Lodge is built on a 1400 acre parcel of land, of which 70 acres is the lake.  The photo above was taken just outside the coach, the three photos below were taken from the lodge looking out at the lake.





this is part of the "camping" area looking at it from the lodge




This (above and below) is the original lodge building on this property, which I believe was built in the 1930's.  The shot above was taken with the lake at my back and the shot below was taken from the other side of the building with the parking lot at my back.



It was springtime in full force with the wisteria smelling so lovely and in full, beautiful bloom as well as the forsythia.

There was lots of time for play, for man and beast.




Sadly, the lodge is only open on weekends for a few hours.  The property is very very busy with people fishing on the lake from their boats or turkey hunting way way way out on the property.  There is also an Elks youth camp as well as a horse camp on a different property down the road.  While we were there we went to a Lodge meeting and had the pleasure of meeting several very friendly members of this Lodge.

After we left Dixie we headed to Anderson, SC for one night, then on to Gaffney where we are at the moment awaiting our chassis maintenance, then over to NC to visit with Joshua, Trisha and Connor before we head to New England.

Stay tuned ....

2 comments:

where's weaver said...

This place looks awesome. Just like a COE park. I think we will make this one of our stops heading up to Red Bay. We are going to Gaffney also...sometime this summer.
Good post...thanks.

Erika said...

HEY! If you want some really cool places to visit while in NC - I can help! I lived there for 5 years before moving to CO! Too beautiful not to see for yourselves!

Glad you're enjoying your travels! I live vicariously through your blog!

XO, Erika :)