Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Thursday, January 6, 2011

A long long time ago

well, a month ago, in a very little town (called Ottine) so far away, we stayed!  Oh what a stop that was. We were there to see the decorated  oil well pumps that were purported to be in the next town (Luling).  Well we did see a couple of the decorated pumps and with the exception of the one below, they were pretty worn out (the painting on them) and had seen much better days!


I know it's not a decorated pump below, but it is an attention getter!


Another thing Luling is "famous" for is its "Watermelon Thump" held at the end of June.  I'm not sure I want to be in the middle of Texas at the end of any June as I'm fairly certain you'd be able to fry an egg on the street it'd be so darn hot, but anyway Luling has this festival celebrating their watermelons and it does sound like a heck of a fun time.  They even have a watermelon water tower!



Below are a couple pictures of the center of Ottine.  Oh how we both loved this area (I fell in love with the hill country immediately) and this tiny town just really got me.  I think the population is somewhere around 100.  They have a lovely state park there.  Unfortunately there were no houses for sale, in fact the only property for sale in the town is the Warm Springs Rehab center, which started as a polio treatment center many many years ago, then became an adult rehabilitation facility, but only houses a dozen or so patients now, as they built a new facility in Luling a few years ago.  The center is on the market for $1.7 million ~ just a tad out of our price range, but what a great piece of property it has the potential to be restored to.

The top photo below was once the Post Office.  The boarded up home's history I don't know, but I'm sure if it could talk it would have many a tale to tell ~ and I'd love to hear a few of them!



That's it for now ~ I'm gonna hit the publish button then head out to Walfart to pick up a couple things - maybe the King will be up and about when I return.

Stay tuned ...

No comments: