Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Saturday, April 24, 2010

The rest of the trip north

We got to spend some GREAT time with our Paige (as well as Pat and Beth). Is she just the most precious baby girl - I had the honor of getting a bow to stay put in her hair - I think the key was to distract her while I put it there and she seemed to have no clue it existed, never mind that it adorned her beautiness. I wish I was still the "craft queen" I was in a previous life - our girl would have gorgeous hair bows by the dozens!
Seriously, just look at her all cuddled in under that incredibly awesome soft warm blanket. Bethie you just have the best taste and I am certain that every home needs a few of them - and I suspect Snoopy would second that!

Grampa got to spend some fun time with our princess as well - wasn't that nice of me to share! Look at those little Muffin toes there - I think Gramp even sang her a song about "piggy toes"

After nap time we got to have a cheese sandwich in bite sized tiny pieces ~ bow still in place! I really really had a difficult time leaving knowing that we are not planning on being back in New England for at least a year and a half and more likely two years. It was a "blessing in disguise" I think that Paige was still sleeping the morning we left. Her Uncle Tim was there to play with her for the morning while Bethie accompanied Patrick to have his wisdom teeth (plus a "bonus" wisdom tooth) pulled - UGH I can't imagine... but Pat was a trooper and it all worked out swell for him.
Our return flight was through BWI where we had a two hour layover, which can often, for Rick and I, be about 1 1/2 hours too long but that was NOT the case this trip.

Our arriving flight was three gates from our departing flight so we headed to find food. As we were headed to one of the restaurants in our terminal we heard all this clapping and yee hawing. Well of course our thoughts were it was a returning military flight. So of course we went to join in the celebration.

OMG - this is what we saw.

Come to find out this was an Honor Flight coming in from Missouri on, who else, Southwest Airlines (one more reason they are my favorite airline).

PLEASE go to the link to learn about these Honor Flights. It was such a touching, emotional moment for us. These were World War II vets headed for a day in Washington, the highlight of which will be a trip to their memorial as well as the other war memorials, and as we all know there are too damned many of them ... They will also visit the National Cemetery, have lunch and return to their own beds that night! These trips are totally paid for through our donations - these vets do not pay for any of this trip (other than souvenirs they may want to purchase).

Also, there are "guardians" (who pay their own way) for these veterans - I believe one guardian for every six or eight vets (I can't remember the exact number). Keep in mind these vets are likely in their 80's - what an HONOR it was for Rick and I to have been there as this flight landed and was greeted for their day in DC. To say that it took me quite some time to emotionally regroup after this event is an understatement.



Another thing that surprised me is just how honored these vets were to be there and how humbled they were to receive the welcoming they did ....

Timing is everything as they say, and our timing could not have been better that day.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I love this whole post, especially the part where you said I have great taste. ha ha ha! Great photos! Your photos and description of the honor flight gave me the sniffles and got me to take out the old credit card ;)