Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Thursday, April 24, 2008

our trip on route 66 (to Oatman, AZ)

Well I finally got these photos to upload - it's only taken a couple days!

On Tuesday we went to Oatman traveling on Route 66 from Kingman.  It amazes me that at one point this was THE major road.  Below is a picture of it winding through the mountains - how about those switch backs.  It is 28 miles from that tower in Kingman out to Oatman and probably 14 of those miles were on these kinds of roads.  

Oatman is an old mining town that is really commercialized now - with staged gun fights in the street throughout the day.  And burros - I'm still not sure I understand about the burros but they are "wild" burros that live in the hills surrounding the town and come into town at will and people feed them carrots..... I guess that is the concept I have difficulty with - wild animals being hand fed by people???  What am I missing here?  Also, according to the locals I spoke with they just sort of tolerate them and realize that most people come to town to see the burros so they are a good source of income for the town!

We had Arlo with us on this trip because we thought he'd be home too long otherwise.  Not the best way to visit this town but it's what we did.  I also found out that it probably isn't the best idea in the world to have a dog around a burro.... something we won't do again for sure.  






No comments: