Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Saturday, June 9, 2012

Not sure I remember

how to do a blog post, and since the days long ago when I posted regularly, blogger has totally changed .... Yup, I am the one that HATES change, so this should be very interesting, to say the least.

So here we are in North Harland Lake, in Vermont for the summer, at our latest volunteer position.  


It really is a lovely area, but three days on, three days off, sitting in our little booth gets very old very quickly when there is no one coming to enjoy the lake because it never seems to stop raining for more than a few hours.




There is a cute little "nature center" here, although we've never seen it open!  Hopefully when kids are out of school and we are inundated with people enjoying lovely summer days, perhaps it will open.


Nature Center

and a lovely playground for when Ms Princess Muffin Paigie Pie comes to visit Papa and T-T


The "cat walk" over the approach to the dam - damn you won't catch me out there tho!



Below, the furthest point out into the water on the left is the beach.  The Corps has spent the last ten months trying to clean this up and get the beach back up and running since the aftermath of Hurican Iren last August 28!  Just before the beach is the boat launch area that Sir loved to play at last year.


The photo below is looking across the recreation are to the hill beyond.  That is a random cloud, not smoke in the photo!





These two photos (above and below) were taken just down the road from where we are, looking out over the mountains to the north east on yet another cloudy evening.  The weather may be the pits most of the time, but the area is just so beautiful that one must try to over look the weather, and realize that in New England if you "stick around a while, the weather will change"!


One of my favorite past times seems to be watching "my" hummingbirds!  They are absolutely amazing to me.  The first time I ever saw one was about seven years ago at our house in Whitman - I was so excited.  So excited in fact that my youngest son bought me two beautiful hummingbird feeders for Mothers day or my birthday that year!  Now I can just sit in my chair (rocking away like a little old lady) and watch them only seven or eight feet away from me.  In fact yesterday, I was outside and one came to the feeder not two feet from me.  Often times it is indeed the little things in life!  Rick may be getting tired of hearing about "my" hummingbirds on an hourly basis though!



One evening we we "touring" the property and came across this huge turtle .... we thought it was a female laying eggs, but won't ever know, as a week or so later another load of gravel was dumped nearly on top of where she was, so if there were eggs there, I'm fairly certain they are destroyed.  




Word has it there are deer, grouse, turkeys, moose and even a bear on the property - I'll let you know, for sure, when there are Whelan sitings for such critters, but for now it's hummingbirds and turtles!  Stay tuned ......

4 comments:

Paul and Marsha Weaver OCT. 17, 2009 said...

We can totally relate to you with the rain. YUCK! We are sick of it for sure.

Whoa...that booth is small. Hope you have a good book to read.

I will skip the "cat walk" also!

I love hummingbirds also. Just incredible little things. I just read they are very territorial and will "FIGHT" other birds if they enter their area.

Hope the rain stops and those people start coming. Enjoy your summer.

Unknown said...

At least there isn't much danger of forest fires. Where we are now ( Fort Collins ) you can see huge clouds of brown smoke from wildfires just ten miles away and it's hot as hell. I love hummingbirds too and it was so magical for me when I moved here seeing these amazing little creatures " in the flesh". I can never get too much of them - must get a fuchsia! In the meantime enjoy all the wonders of nature and don't get booth fever!

B.Ben. said...

KEEP YOUR TOES AWAY FROM THE SNAPPING TURTLES! Now that I'm done nagging.........your park looks lovely. And it will look even better filled with happy vacationing people. Have fun!

Betty said...

Good to see you blogging again! The pics of the area are great...I especially love the hummingbird pictures! So happy that you will be relatively close by again this summer..keep the blogs coming please..