Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Monday, April 27, 2009

A day late and ....


Yesterday was CAMELOT'S SIR ARLO'S fourth birthday.  People often ask us how old he is and Rick's reply is ... "He will be four in April If I let him" ... well Rick let him, and Sir turned four yesterday.  I am delighted that we were in an area where he (Sir NOT Rick..) got to run around and let his ears flap.  Rick was very displease with Sir and I the other day though.... The Moose Lodge where we are at has two ponds with geese and ducks in ithem and I allowed Sir, on a 90+ degree day to romp in the ponds.  I do understand why Rick was upset - it is the territory of the geese, but jeez Arlo was hot hot hot and needed to cool down.  Anyway, I am unable to load pictures of Sir, but we all know how darned handsome he is!


With that all said ... On Sunday we all (yes including Sir ... UGH)headed into Philly - (about 45 or so miles away) to do the Philly cheese steak challenge!  In "south philly" there are two "famous" cheese steak joints directly across from one another - Geno's and Pat's.  Well with the help of "smartie pants" (our GPS) we headed out (first we did have to detour to a Harley dealer along the way to purchase a new battery for a 2003 bike which is ridden WAY more than a 2001 bike!!

Above is, obviously, Geno's ... below, obviously Pat's.  Our intent was to buy a cheese steak from each - cut it in half (DAH) and compare ... well the line at Pat's was so flipping long and it was so flipping hot and we had Sir with us so.... yeah we only had one ... and it was GREAT ....  

We are still in the Coatesville, PA area.  It is so beautiful here I am not sure I want to leave. We do have a "schedule (man I HATE schedules now, but sometimes schedules happen) to be in NH around the 20th of May (or maybe the first of June?????).  

People have asked us many many times along the way what is the best area we've been to. I've always said Utah (in spite of the people there, I thought the country side (mountains) was just beautiful).  Next to that would be Tennessee (although there are far too many dry counties there - seriously, what is up with that?  Jack Daniels is in a dry county for heavens sake ... UGH don't get me going there).  Well Utah just took third place (at least) for me.  I just love this area of Pennsylvania.  It is so beautiful and the people are so warm and welcoming.  Although the Amish seem to be much much more commercialized here (a bit distressing) than those we came across in Iowa.  Also, Kimberly, you were correct with your Mennonite, Amish info.  I found a fabulous website from the Lancaster County Tourism  (I believe) It is a plethora of information ... and goes on forever.  In all our travels, I think this has been the most welcoming, informative, easy to use website for those of us "passing through".  If you find yourself with "too much time on your hands" check it out .... it goes on forever with so so so much information.

I so admire this culture.  Their lifestyle must be such a struggle as the years go by.  I remember watching a PBS documentary about the culture and my friend Maureen told me about a book she had read about the "young people coming of age" ... unfortunately Maureen could not remember the name of the book - calling all readers..... who has read it?  I want to read it also, but what is the title?
Yesterday I went out for some "retail therapy" ... it is Rick's fault ... on the way into Philly the other day, he pointed out to me that we had passed a Christmas Tree Shops.  Well heck, I've been having CTS withdrawal since 10/2007 (with the exception of when we were in NH for Princess Paige's arrival in February this year).  Seriously, friends what the hell is the attraction with that store?  I know I can always count on them to have good "tacky" flamingo stuff and napkins etc for a great price.  Other than that ....... hmmmmmm


Above, and some below, are photos from that trip ... sorry, I can't do  commentary on them 'cause I haven't a clue!



With all that said ~ our "intent" was to leave here tomorrow.  However, I be havin' a difficult time finding a reasonably priced place to be for four or five nights.    We don't need (nor want) swimming pools, playgrounds, seven hundred "planned activities") all we want is a spacious, full hook up ~ preferably pull thru ~ site reasonably priced .... DAH wouldn't think that would be difficult huh!  Trust me, in these parts it seems to be.  We had decided to opt out of interstate 95 this time ... been there done that too many times.  Seems all "campgrounds" are along 95 and foolishly priced no matter what "discount club" you belong to.  I would have no issue with a truck stop if it weren't for the fact that Sir is with us and I do the morning (7:00 AM) walk with him or if I stay up late ~ Umm 1:00, 2:00 or 3:00 AM ~ reading or facebooking etc. I will take him out before I "retire" ... NOT going to happen in a truck stop!  So we will be here for at least another night.  Then I noticed a flyer in a local restaurant today about a rock and blues fest this weekend here ~  so really, what the heck is a few more nights?  We have a month to travel, at the most 500 or 600 miles!

Decisions, decisions.  I will, hopefully, post photos of the great homes around here.  I've been trying to figure out the source and significance of the rocks that many older homes are built with.  They are just gorgeous.

Speaking of homes ~ Chad (and Amy) chill a bit ... it will ALL be fine and there truly is NO hurry.  Like I said Chad, that one wasn't meant to be, but there is one out there that IS meant to be.  I know you hate my "preaching" but sometimes, I do have a clue.  Just be thinking "parlez vous francais" right now.

No comments: