Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Thursday, September 25, 2008

Today's tail (not tale)


Darn Chester I wish you'd been with us.  Today we road "Tail of the Dragon" a "major" motorcycle ride on the Tennessee/North Carolina border.  Its claim to fame is 318 curves in 11 miles.  It is true - lots of curves and switchbacks.  I was, of course, a nervous wreck at the thought of it - it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd made it out to be - go slow and easy and it was fine!  In fact we had to do it twice or take the very long route which would have added another 150 miles on our already 125 mile day - much too long for Arlo to have been in the house without a walk, pee or play time!

The photo above is at the 0 mile marker (sort of like Key West, but different!).  This was the southern end of the dragon.  Our first trip was north to south.

The photo below was at the beginning of the Foothills Parkway which is an 18 mile road on National Park land (a "scenic road") which we took to get to the Tail of the Dragon (route 129).  This parkway was absolutely gorgeous with many turn outs - all of the photos below are taken along this beautiful drive.  

It was a bit chilly.  We left around noon and it was low 60's.  We both had our denims jackets on and I sure wish I'd worn my leather ~ silly me.
The photo below was the first stop we made on the Parkway.  It is overlooking the Smoky Mountains way off in the distance.  It was such a clear beautiful day, just cooler than I wanted.
I take it back - the photo below was not taken on the Parkway.  It was taken from about mile 3 of the Tail of the Dragon.  It is over looking a dam whose name I don't know (oops sorry).  But how about those mountains aren't they outstandingly gorgeous?
The photo below is on the parkway overlooking the town of Marysville (TN) I believe.  This was taken on our return.

That's it for our adventure for today.  Tomorrow it is suppose to rain and we are out of here on Saturday morning.  Not really by choice.  This morning I went to extend our stay here by three days and was told we had to be off the site Saturday morning - someone had reserved it.  Wish they'd told us that when we checked in and told them we would likely be extending ~ oh well ... guess it means it really was time for us to go huh!

No comments: