Think about this ... "be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"





Saturday, May 3, 2008

Our national treasures

Arlo and I just got back from a "time" at Lake Mead and the Hoover Dam - The last time I was here (3 years ago), I guess I was too shell shocked from the sky diving adventure to be fully aware of how beautiful Lake Mead is.  I wish I had a clearer recollection of it because as Arlo was swimming after his toys and I stood ankle deep in muck, surrounded by broken beer bottles, spent pampers and beer cans, I couldn't help wondering - why are we letting our National treasures get to this condition while we spend billions of dollars fighting wars?  Am I the only one that thinks there might, maybe, be something inherently wrong with this picture?  (Pictures - no I forgot the camera but we will be back) ..... I don't want to get off on a political rant but it is hard not to after what we just experienced!

The water level in the lake was noticeably low - like 30 or 40 feet low - boat launch areas are closed because of low water levels.  I am not sure what the reason is for the low levels - I will have to do some research on it.  I was glad I used our National Parks Annual Pass (that we had just purchased a few weeks ago at Joshua Tree National Park) which gets us into National Parks, BLM lands and several others, without paying the standard entrance fee - a bargain no matter how I look at it.

After we left the lake we went over the Hoover Dam - Rick had asked me earlier today if I thought I could ride my bike over the Dam and I felt certain I could - WRONG - I seriously thought about turning the car around and not driving it over but insanity prevailed and off to the Arizona side Sir Arlo and I went.  I don't think there will be future pictures of that adventure however - I don't think I'll be doing it again!  I had also wanted to do a Hoover Dam tour while we are here - ummmmmm that may not be happening either.

Stay tuned for pictures of the Lake....... maybe tomorrow, maybe the next day......it is beautiful, neglected and a sad commentary about our country's priorities, but none the less beautiful and a treasure to behold.  I am so fortunate to have been there again.

No comments: